CRM

TKonopka

Contact and Company Upload - Do i start again?

SOLVE

Hi,

I am new to HubSpot and stated to upload data without having some onboarding. In a nutshell i am using Lusha as a tool to gather contact and associated company information. I also had an existing CSV file from a previous CRM and seem to have created duplicates and I am unable to get rid of them.

The data is a bit messy, not huge, but i have around 4000 contacts and 1200 companies.

In short, is it best to delete all contact sand companies, resync the Lusha tool to Hubspot and then import correctly the CSV? If so, how do i do this and what are the negatives?

We are not doing any marketing yet but are gearing up for this. Can osmeone please help ?

thanks TK

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hello @TKonopka,

I'd recommend confirming this with Lusha customer service, but I'd assume so, yes.

If you then prepare an import, following these import file guidelines, HubSpot will update contacts in their place as long as the email address is included, and HubSpot will update company records as long as the domain name is included. By correctly setting up your import file, contacts and companies will also be associated with each other.

(By simply importing two separate files, contacts and companies will fly around independently. You have to tell HubSpot how they are associated, see link above.)

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
TKonopka

SOLVE

Thanks, that makes sense. I have exported both companies and contacts from HubSpot and will manually rn through them, take out what i dont want and add in what i do and thik i will be good to go.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, its appreciated

tk

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @TKonopka,

Are the imports the only thing you've done so far in your HubSpot portal? If so, then yes, deleting the imported contacts and companies would be the easiest option. You could then start clean and make sure to set up your import files correctly. You can find examples for import files here.

However, if you have already added notes to contacts, sent sales emails, scheduled meetings – all of this information would be lost when you delete the records.

What likely happened is that you imported companies without Company domain name. This is the unique identifier for companies that HubSpot deduplicates by. If not found, a company will simply be created again and again.

If you have more details about your current situation, I can provide further help.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
TKonopka

SOLVE

Hi

Yes, you prety much hit the nail on the head, the import that i made was without company domain information. I assume that the external Lusha tool that i use will just resync, i thn just upload whatever additional contacts i would like via  CSV file with company domain information attached?

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hello @TKonopka,

I'd recommend confirming this with Lusha customer service, but I'd assume so, yes.

If you then prepare an import, following these import file guidelines, HubSpot will update contacts in their place as long as the email address is included, and HubSpot will update company records as long as the domain name is included. By correctly setting up your import file, contacts and companies will also be associated with each other.

(By simply importing two separate files, contacts and companies will fly around independently. You have to tell HubSpot how they are associated, see link above.)

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler