CRM

IndigoBricks

Contact Type

SOLVE

Is it possible to create a drop down menu for "Contact Type" when creating a new contact or editing an existing contact? Right now I only seem to have the option to type a in a "Contact Type" and I want to limit the descriptions used. 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

Contact Type

SOLVE

Hi @IndigoBricks 

Yes, you need to make this change in your settings. Someone has already created the property, hence it appears in the About box, you need to change it to a dropdown and specify the options. 

Follow the instructions here: Edit properties

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
7 Replies 7
HubSpotLondoner

Contact Type

SOLVE

Hi everyone, coming back to this. I'd also like to find which default property in Hubspot is good to use as a way to store type of contact e.g. primary contact, billing contact etc. 
I don't seem to have Contact type in my standard Hubspot properties for contacts... ?

The closest I can see is Buying Role, but this doesn't quite look like what everyone is talking about here. 

I don't want to make a custom field, I want to use the right Hubspot default field. 

Can anybody help?
Thanks!

0 Upvotes
Bryantworks
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

Contact Type

SOLVE

Quick edit:  

@Phil_Vallender beat me to it, you should just edit that proptery instead of making a new one.  I thought client type was a HS property and locked down.

Sure, you should be able to create a new property with the criteria you're looking for under a Dropdown type:

Property settings - Google Chrome 2019-03-25 13.24.49.png

From there you can set this field as a default property on the contact profile.  Hope this helps!

Chris Bryant | Your Dedicated HubSpot Expert
0 Upvotes
IndigoBricks

Contact Type

SOLVE

Where am I making this change? In my settings? I see in your screenshot you are editing a property, I would like to make this change for contacts. I would like to have the option to create a drop down menu here... is this possible? 

Capture.JPG

0 Upvotes
HubSpotLondoner

Contact Type

SOLVE

Hi Indigo Bricks, I don't have Contact Type as a contact property in my default hubspot fields. Is this something that came automatically with Hubspot? Or something you made yourself? Thanks!

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender
Solution

Contact Type

SOLVE

Hi @IndigoBricks 

Yes, you need to make this change in your settings. Someone has already created the property, hence it appears in the About box, you need to change it to a dropdown and specify the options. 

Follow the instructions here: Edit properties

Hope this helps.

0 Upvotes
IndigoBricks

Contact Type

SOLVE

This helped! Thank  you very much. 

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender

Contact Type

SOLVE

Hi @IndigoBricks 

Contact type isn't a default property so you should be able to edit it any way you want by going to settings > properties > contacts > 'contact type' > edit:

Type.png

Hope this helps.