CRM

saharareiz

Contact Owner Sync with Salesforce

We are syncing with Salesforce and the mapping for contact own is the two way sync (the only other option is no sync at all). However, Salesforce is overwriting and updated the contact owner field to "Integrated Salesforce System". We need Salesforce to also say it is a two way sync and/or default to HubSpot for the contact owner. Does anyone know how to do this? Is this a Salesforce setting?

7 Replies 7
Phil_Vallender
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

Hi @saharareiz 

The integration should only set the owner to the integration user (which is what Integrated Salesforce System sounds like it could be) if owner is blank when the contact is first syncronised. 

Even then, either system should be able to update the field unless there are rules preventing it on the salesforce side. 

Have you eliminated both these possible causes?

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
saharareiz

Thank you @Phil_Vallender ! I have not eliminated either because when we update the contact owner in Hubspot Salesforce overwrites it again. I am looking into the Salesforce side to see if there is a rule that is causing that but I am new to Salesforce. Any suggestions on where to look in Salesforce?

0 Upvotes
Shinypixel

Hi,

Any update on how this was solved? I have the same problem, and there are no rules or other things in the way in SF. It seems it does not read the owner in the sync at all.

thnx,

/Niklas

0 Upvotes
saharareiz

I haven't figured out a definite solution but with HubSpot supports help we found some answers.  The HubSpot user who should be the contact owner was not currently mapped to any Salesforce owner. Here is some helpful stuff with my chat with support. I hope this helps!

Our Salesforce Integration FAQ article says the following: "Any Salesforce owner can sync to HubSpot, but only owners in HubSpot that match an active Salesforce user's name and email address will sync to Salesforce. If HubSpot attempts to sync an owner that doesn't exist in Salesforce, the Owner ID field will reset to the last value from Salesforce."

Our article about Salesforce owner assignment further expands on this: "If a HubSpot contact creates a new Salesforce lead, and is assigned a HubSpot owner that matches an active Salesforce user's name and email address before it first syncs to Salesforce, that owner will be assigned in Salesforce. If not, Salesforce lead assignment rules will apply."

So, with all this in mind, here's what appears to be happening:

• The contact record gets created in HubSpot with the Contact owner property set to the users email (ex: abc@abc.com)
  • HubSpot then syncs the new contact to Salesforce, but because there is no matching Owner ID for abc@abc.com in Salesforce, it defaults to the integration user: integration@abc.com (which we can see has its name set to "Integration Salesforce System")
  • Then, because the Contact owner field mapping is set to Two-Way, the Owner ID syncs back to HubSpot and overwrites Doug as the Contact owner.

To resolve this, you could create a Salesforce owner for the user/abc@abc.com which would then automatically map to his existing HubSpot user. Or we could re-map an existing Salesforce owner to the abc@abc.com HubSpot user. If you need to re-map the user to an existing Salesforce owner, support can do this for you, I'd just need you to tell them which Salesforce owner to map it to. 

StefaniUAT
Key Advisor

@Shinypixel , I agree with @saharareiz.

I had the same issue with the SalesForce/HubSpot integration. I would start by updating the integration settings to make HubSpot information the master value for the contact owner field. You would also need to create SalesForce accounts that match the same users as HubSpot. Otherwise, SalesForce has a weird thing that happens in which whenever the record is updated in SalesForce, it overrides the HubSpot information back to match the SalesForce information. We had this happen a lot when syncing. We updated addresses in HubSpot and whenever the records synced back with SalesForce, it overrode the information. Setting master information in the integration settings is key for data integrity!

Best,
Stefani Johnson
Defect and Database Administrator
University of Advancing Technology
uat.edu I Earn Tech Respect
Phil_Vallender

Hi @saharareiz 

It could be a workflow in Process Builder, or some sort of Validation Rule. I would look at those first. 

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
0 Upvotes
Shinypixel

Hi Phil,

have the same issue, no rules or workflows in SF that could interfere. Seems SF does not receive the owner property on contact creation at all after checking SF sync history on the field. It defaults to the user account in the integration settings straight away. Any ideas?

thanks, /Niklas

0 Upvotes