CRM

MHandrow

Contact Owner Changing Mysteriously

We are having an issue where we'll assign one salesperson a contact and then a few mins later it'll change the owner to a different salesperson, even though no one on our team made the change. This only happens once in a while. What could be the cause of this?

0 Upvotes
7 Replies 7
MelisaAganovic
Contributor

Hi Karsten, 

we have the same issue. I know why it changes, but I don't know how to stop it. 
Different colleagues work in HubSpot and some of them have connected their personal Outlook, which they should. However, when they send an email to a conatact, the Contact owner changes. 

For example: My contact owner is my boss (Jessica). When James sent me an email (his Outlook is connected to HubSpot) he becomes my Contact Owner and not Jessica anymore. 

The same happens if James writes John an Email and John is not yet a contact in HubSpot it automatically makes James as his Contact Owner. 

Is there a way to stop this or do we have to change it manually? 

My biggest problem is, if the original contact owner (lets name him Steve) desides to send out an Email/Newsletter to his contacts and uses a "List" that he created in the past - Steve's name won't appear under "contact owner" it will be for this example "James" because he recently send out an email to a view people that originally belong to Steve.

Thank you for your help.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Hi @MHandrow,

Changes to the contact owner property can result from integrations, imports, automations, manual updates to the record. To check which one applies, you can always look at the history of a property on a contact record: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/view-property-history#view-historical-values-for-a-property-...

Navigate to the contact record in question and find Contact owner in the left sidebar. Hover your mouse over it and click Details. A right sidebar should open with a log of who/what made a change and when.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

MelisaAganovic
Contributor

Hi Karsten, 

we have the same issue. I know why it changes, but I don't know how to stop it. 
Different colleagues work in HubSpot and some of them have connected their personal Outlook, which they should. However, when they send an email to a conatact, the Contact owner changes. 

For example: My contact owner is my boss (Jessica). When James sent me an email (his Outlook is connected to HubSpot) he becomes my Contact Owner and not Jessica anymore. 

The same happens if James writes John an Email and John is not yet a contact in HubSpot it automatically makes James as his Contact Owner. 

Is there a way to stop this or do we have to change it manually? 

My biggest problem is, if the original contact owner (lets name him Steve) desides to send out an Email/Newsletter to his contacts and uses a "List" that he created in the past - Steve's name won't appear under "contact owner" it will be for this example "James" because he recently send out an email to a few people that originally belong to Steve.

Thank you for your help.

0 Upvotes
MHandrow

Hey Karsten, thanks for getting back to me. 

The issue is i've already checked the contact record history it said one of our team members changed the contact record 2 mins after assigning it to the original intended owner. In talking w/ her, she said she didn't change anything about the contact. We did not have any imports or integrations running at the time. It works 80% of the time as intended, but every day or so the contact owner will mysteriously change to a different team memeber w/o anyone doing so. Or at least doing so intentionaly to our knowledge.   

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Hi @MHandrow,

Very mysterious, I haven't experienced this before. Are there any actions happening at the same time (e.g. changing the owner of the company associated to the contact, bulk edits on the contact index page)?

Best regards

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

TCastillo1
Contributor

Hi Karsten,

I am having the same issue. However, the source of change is 'Conversations'. See pic below:

TCastillo1_0-1671561441369.png

Can you please let me know what the cause is and how this can be turned off?

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
TDelafosse
Contributor

Can you navigate to the contact > all properties > contact owner and click on details?

This should tell you the user / tool / workflow that made the change.