CRM

Ry1
Participant

Confidential email communication (rules around distribution, visiability and selected users)

SOLVE

Hi,

I'm seeking to understand if the Hubspot email function can create rules around the distribution of confidential communication with 3rd party clients (i.e. Contract Terms, MOU's etc).

In this scenario our CEO/Senior management team would like to issue/communicate project related information that was preceded by a signed Confidentiality Agreement (CA's) with a 3rd party.

There would be a select group of internal Hubspot users (i.e. the "senior project management team") that would be privy to the signed CA document and the conditions set in place.

However as the project continues other middle management and lower level staff are ultimately looped into the evolving project work and client interactions.

We are seeing if there is a way to 'partition' certain email communication & attachments (if selected to be stored/tracked in Hubspot) associated with a Deal from others team members who may end up being involved with the day to day running of the project and in turn using Hubspot to liaise and record contact/communication with the clients/companies.

It might be a big ask but just putting it out there.

NOTE: We are currently using Outlook with the Hubspot sidebar function. Where confidential communication occurs, these are selectively NOT tracked or logged in Hubspot. However as we attempt to use Hubspot as the 'one source of truth' for Deals, it would be great to be able to ensure all relvant communication was stored accordingly

Thanks

Ryan

2 Accepted solutions
webdew
Solution
Guide | Diamond Partner
Guide | Diamond Partner

Confidential email communication (rules around distribution, visiability and selected users)

SOLVE

Hi @Ry1 ,

I'd like to advise you if you could create team and distribute your team members in team can help you keep the confedentiality of emails/attachments shared wih your team members and customer, you can either keep your users's access to own only and team onlt so that they can see their own deals or team member deals.Also, you can leverage the team email/shared inbox, so that you team member can use only one inbox to send emails to your customers, this way you can restric the access to other team members.

Hope this helps!

If we were able to answer your query, kindly help the community by marking it as a solution.

Thanks and Regards. 

View solution in original post

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Ry1,

HubSpot has some features to limit access to records and information in HubSpot but from a first glance, they wouldn't suffice for your requirements.

Your starting point for this woudl be the guide to user permissions and roles.

Using permissions and teams, you can make certain records (contacts, companies, deals) accessible to select users only. This access is always based on record ownership (contact owner, company owner, deal owner). When you set the permissions for a user (or a role), you can select whether the user should be able to see their owned records only, records from their team or all records.

In your case, you would create a team for Senior Project Management. This team could either have access to all records in the portal or to those owned by the team. One of the users from this team would then have to be the owner of the record. All other users in your HubSpot portal would have to have limited record access: owned only or team only – otherwise they would be able to access the confidential records.

Once more people are supposed to access the confidential information, record ownership would have to change – from someone in the Senior Project Management team to someone in the Middle Management team. Keep in mind that the Senior Project Management team would lose access if their permissions are set to team only.

You can see that technically, this is possible, but HubSpot's permissions logic would heavily impose on your processes. The tool is just not fully there yet when it comes to these features. If you do go with the permissions model, I'd recommend testing this thoroughly.

A few more things to keep in mind:

You might be wondering if there is a way to limit access to certain information on a contact record, that's currently not possible. If a user can see a record, they can see all information about this record.

If confidential emails logged into HubSpot include several contacts, all of these contacts would have to be assigned to the Senior Project Management team. If just one contact was visible to Middle Management or lower, the emails could be accessed through another contact record.

(If you've stumbled upton the asset partitioning features and are wondering whether it could help here: unfortunately it does not extend to files or logged emails.)

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

My pleasure, @Ry1!

If you found my response helpful, you can help the community (and make my day) by marking my earlier post as a solution.

Cheers!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Ry1,

HubSpot has some features to limit access to records and information in HubSpot but from a first glance, they wouldn't suffice for your requirements.

Your starting point for this woudl be the guide to user permissions and roles.

Using permissions and teams, you can make certain records (contacts, companies, deals) accessible to select users only. This access is always based on record ownership (contact owner, company owner, deal owner). When you set the permissions for a user (or a role), you can select whether the user should be able to see their owned records only, records from their team or all records.

In your case, you would create a team for Senior Project Management. This team could either have access to all records in the portal or to those owned by the team. One of the users from this team would then have to be the owner of the record. All other users in your HubSpot portal would have to have limited record access: owned only or team only – otherwise they would be able to access the confidential records.

Once more people are supposed to access the confidential information, record ownership would have to change – from someone in the Senior Project Management team to someone in the Middle Management team. Keep in mind that the Senior Project Management team would lose access if their permissions are set to team only.

You can see that technically, this is possible, but HubSpot's permissions logic would heavily impose on your processes. The tool is just not fully there yet when it comes to these features. If you do go with the permissions model, I'd recommend testing this thoroughly.

A few more things to keep in mind:

You might be wondering if there is a way to limit access to certain information on a contact record, that's currently not possible. If a user can see a record, they can see all information about this record.

If confidential emails logged into HubSpot include several contacts, all of these contacts would have to be assigned to the Senior Project Management team. If just one contact was visible to Middle Management or lower, the emails could be accessed through another contact record.

(If you've stumbled upton the asset partitioning features and are wondering whether it could help here: unfortunately it does not extend to files or logged emails.)

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Ry1
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks for your detailed response Karten. Much appreciated!

I think your comments: "You can see that technically, this is possible, but HubSpot's permissions logic would heavily impose on your processes. The tool is just not fully there yet when it comes to these features. If you do go with the permissions model, I'd recommend testing this thoroughly" all but wrap it up.

Unfortuately I don't want to impose another level of complexity to the process, particularly when there could be 'gaps'.

May have to wait until the system catches up, although by no means is this a deal breaker for Hubspot - which our business has found very good!

Regards

Ryan

JKrantz
Contributor

SOLVE

this is also a big one for us, with out this has led to tough adoption of adding/ logging emails 

0 Upvotes
webdew
Solution
Guide | Diamond Partner
Guide | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Ry1 ,

I'd like to advise you if you could create team and distribute your team members in team can help you keep the confedentiality of emails/attachments shared wih your team members and customer, you can either keep your users's access to own only and team onlt so that they can see their own deals or team member deals.Also, you can leverage the team email/shared inbox, so that you team member can use only one inbox to send emails to your customers, this way you can restric the access to other team members.

Hope this helps!

If we were able to answer your query, kindly help the community by marking it as a solution.

Thanks and Regards. 

Ry1
Participant

SOLVE

Hi webdew,

Thanks for your response. A 'shared' mailbox was one of the options we had considered prior to the query being posted. 

May still go down this path to 'partition' data in the system. Will have to wait and see.

Thanks for the input!

Regards

Ryan 

0 Upvotes