CRM

OvanGelderen

Company name changed after registration form submission

SOLVE

Hi,

All of a sudden one of our client's company name changed after a new client submitted a registration form. It got basically overruled by the new info from the form. But, I can't find any overlapping fields that trigger the "overruling". In the property history I can see it comes from the form somehow. Anyone an idea? 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @OvanGelderen,

That's default behavior in forms. If a field receives input from a form submission, that will be updated accordingly on the record. Are you referring the contact or company object? Could you share a screenshot from the forms editor?

Best regards

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @OvanGelderen,

That's default behavior in forms. If a field receives input from a form submission, that will be updated accordingly on the record. Are you referring the contact or company object? Could you share a screenshot from the forms editor?

Best regards

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

OvanGelderen

SOLVE

Hi Karsten,

See attached screenshot of the name changes. I deleted the names, but clearly it's caused by the form. I see that the person submitted 2 times the same form within 5 minutes (different info and credentials though), would it be possible it has something to do with that? The top one we did manually after we discovered the problem. 

image.png

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @OvanGelderen,

In your forms options, have you enabled the 'Always create new contact' setting? If not, then this might be caused by the original contact forwarding the email to another person. HubSpot then assumes that the submissions from the second person belongs to the original contact.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

OvanGelderen

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler ,

Yes this option is on. I read in the documentation that it might have something to do with the cookies: 

• If this option is turned on, when a contact submits the form using a different email on a browser where there is already a cookie, views will not be tracked for this contact. The Pre-populate contact fields with known values option will also be automatically disabled.

The person filled in different emails though. Im not 100% this person filled it in twice, but looking at the submission times it could be possible. Can the cookies be the issue somehow?

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @OvanGelderen,

If the contact submitted the form before the option was toggled, then yes.

Also, if the contact provided a new compain name under the same email address, HubSpot would still update the company name. HubSpot assumes that new information is correct and will update it based on the email address of the contact.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

OvanGelderen

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler ,

Allright, so I assume it's better to turn the toggle off? I found this: 

• If this option is turned off, HubSpot will first attempt to associate the submission with an existing contact with the submitted email address. If no contact exists at that email address, HubSpot will recognize and update your contacts based on the cookies in their browsers. This may result in contacts being overwritten if the same form is submitted multiple times from the same device.

Looking at the last sentence, I'm not sure this would solve the issue? 🤔 Anyhow, the client didn't use the same emailaddress, so I don't understand how it can overwrite the data in general.. Thanks for your help so far!

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @OvanGelderen,

I'd recommend always enabling the 'Always create new contact' option.

If there is a chance that one or two form submissions happened before you had the option enabled, then that could explain why the company name was updated even though the contact provided a different email address.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

OvanGelderen

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler ,

I understand, the strange thing is: it was always turned on. So that can't be the cause.. So in general, there is no overlapping field from the existing company and the one from the form (on company level).  Also, the address from the (new) form also overwrote the address of the existing HQ? 

0 Upvotes
OvanGelderen

SOLVE

Hi Karsten,

Yes, so the problem is that company name A (a HQ company) got automatically changed to name B (another location of the same chain that filled in the form). And all the connected contacts were automatically part of name B. I'm not suren I am allowed to share screenshots in here, can I email you? Kind regards and thanks for the quick response!

0 Upvotes