CRM

HubSpotMaster
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

Company - Referred by Property

SOLVE

I have a list of partners in my CRM that often refer business to me. I am looking for a way to identify the partner that referred a new company to me and am trying to solve how to do this in a consistent and scalable way (not just a short text property)

Ask:
Is there a way to have a property called "Referred By" which links to an active list or allows me to define the list based on other company properties? This would ensure the consistency of the information getting captured into the CRM. 

For example:

I have a HubSpot property - Company Type. If Company Type is Partner then the drop-down options would a list of all the companies with "Company Type" = "Partner"

Is there any custom development that people have done to complete this use case?

Thanks!

1 Accepted solution
mike-ward
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hey @HubSpotMaster ,

I'm reasonably sure there's no easy way to do this.

My gut feel would be to modify the contact property options using the API. You could potentially trigger a workflow on new Companies added with Type = Partner which triggers a webhook (Enterprise) externally to push into the API with the new Company details, which would then update the Options which would then mean it'd appear in your drop-down select...

Not sure the best way to make that API call - if you have CMS Hub Enterprise you could use a lambda function for it, otherwise you'd have to handle outside HubSpot. You may be able to cobble together something in an automation tool like Zapier.

See also this thread on Dynamic property fields if you haven't already, some good further discussion.

If you're not on Enterprise for either CMS or Marketing, I think you'd definitely have to manage the whole thing outside HubSpot and just push the new Partner changes into the API. Depending how many partners you have and how often they change, it may be easier just to manually add them to the drop-down list options for the field 🙂

Hope that helps in a small way, curious if anyone else has any other approaches for this!

Cheers,

Mike

PS: Thanks @sharonlicari for the tag.

---

Did I answer your question? If your question is answered, please mark it as a solution. If you need more help, hit that big orange 'Reply' button! 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Alex_Elborn
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

I agree with @mike-ward I'm not sure there is any way to do this easily!

You could set up a workflow so when you add a new Partner company it notifies you so you can add that partner company into a drop-down list property but that obviously needs a level of manual intervention.

Thanks for the tag @sharonlicari 

footer
sharonlicari
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @HubSpotMaster 

Thank you for sharing this detailed information. I'll tag a few experts to share their thoughts with you.

Hey @mike-ward @Tnichs @Alex_Elborn any advise you can give to @HubSpotMaster 

Thanks

Sharon

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

mike-ward
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hey @HubSpotMaster ,

I'm reasonably sure there's no easy way to do this.

My gut feel would be to modify the contact property options using the API. You could potentially trigger a workflow on new Companies added with Type = Partner which triggers a webhook (Enterprise) externally to push into the API with the new Company details, which would then update the Options which would then mean it'd appear in your drop-down select...

Not sure the best way to make that API call - if you have CMS Hub Enterprise you could use a lambda function for it, otherwise you'd have to handle outside HubSpot. You may be able to cobble together something in an automation tool like Zapier.

See also this thread on Dynamic property fields if you haven't already, some good further discussion.

If you're not on Enterprise for either CMS or Marketing, I think you'd definitely have to manage the whole thing outside HubSpot and just push the new Partner changes into the API. Depending how many partners you have and how often they change, it may be easier just to manually add them to the drop-down list options for the field 🙂

Hope that helps in a small way, curious if anyone else has any other approaches for this!

Cheers,

Mike

PS: Thanks @sharonlicari for the tag.

---

Did I answer your question? If your question is answered, please mark it as a solution. If you need more help, hit that big orange 'Reply' button!