CRM

ZZuberi

Company Ownership

SOLVE

Hello people! I need urgent help with company ownership settings. I have some contacts from a company that are 'protected' and I'm the company owner. But when another user uploaded the contacts from the same company, the company ownership was re-written, and now that user owns all my 'protected' contacts of that particular company. Is there a way to avoid this since we work in an account-based marketing environment?

1 Accepted solution
ChrisoKlepke
Solution
Key Advisor | Elite Partner

Company Ownership

SOLVE

Hey @ZZuberi , 

thanks for reaching out to the community. It sounds like there are multiple things going on so you might need to clarify a thing or two as we go along. 

First I want to bring attention to this setting here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/sync-ownership-between-contacts-and-companies

It ensures, that all new contact from a company for which the owner is already known, sets the owner of that contact to the same one by default. I recommend turning this on, if not done already.

Secondly, it sounds like that one of your teammates imported the existing contacts and override the owner property. This is definitely something I would bring up with your team in general, as it might be a better idea to have everyone the import permissions. Having everyone import anything they want is rarely a good idea. 

You can check the history of individual property and its values and see the source of that change just to be sure. It's described here how to do it:

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/view-property-history

If you found this post helpful, consider helping others in the community to find answers faster by marking this as a solution. I'd really appreciate it. 

Cheers, 

Chriso

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
christopher-RVO
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

Company Ownership

SOLVE

@ZZuberi  This is something that I see that happens with ZoomInfo or Seamless.AI. If you are sending companies from these platforms through the API, it will append the value of the company owner to the user that is pushing the data through. 

This would then cascade said ownership down to all associated contacts. This setting can be adjusted through Seamless.AI, or ZoomInfo

Christopher Barnett - VP of Revenue at Aptitude 8

ChrisoKlepke
Solution

Company Ownership

SOLVE

Hey @ZZuberi , 

thanks for reaching out to the community. It sounds like there are multiple things going on so you might need to clarify a thing or two as we go along. 

First I want to bring attention to this setting here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/sync-ownership-between-contacts-and-companies

It ensures, that all new contact from a company for which the owner is already known, sets the owner of that contact to the same one by default. I recommend turning this on, if not done already.

Secondly, it sounds like that one of your teammates imported the existing contacts and override the owner property. This is definitely something I would bring up with your team in general, as it might be a better idea to have everyone the import permissions. Having everyone import anything they want is rarely a good idea. 

You can check the history of individual property and its values and see the source of that change just to be sure. It's described here how to do it:

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/view-property-history

If you found this post helpful, consider helping others in the community to find answers faster by marking this as a solution. I'd really appreciate it. 

Cheers, 

Chriso

Alex_Elborn
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

Company Ownership

SOLVE

Hi @ZZuberi , this is unusual seeing as usually, the company owner would dictate the contact owner. Have you checked to see if you have any workflows in place that may be causing this change?

footer