CRM

niederberger
Participant

Companies with Branches and one Domain

SOLVE

Hello Together. I'm in the process to import about 5000 companies and about 15'000 contacts to the companies. I have the challange that a few companies having multiple branches in other cites but only one domain. If I import it, it only takes me one entry. How can this be achieved? Thx, Thomas.

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @niederberger,

This is currently a limitation of HubSpot. A company domain must be unique. Multiple companies or subsidiaries sharing the same domain would always be created/updated in the same record in HubSpot.

There is a feature for this; parent child relationships: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/companies/how-can-i-add-a-parent-or-child-company-to-an-existing-compa...

Out of the box, this feature cannot be used in imports. Other users have requested this but it is not planned by HubSpot, see here: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Import-Parent-Child-Relationships-for-Companies/idi-p...

Importing parent-child relationships is however possible via third-party integrations, Import2 or Trujay for example.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
KBZimmerman
Participant

SOLVE

was this resolved?  The excepted answer is still a bit confusing to me. Do you remove the domain of all the child companies and create new records and associate contacts to child companies based on the child company name which I can make unique?

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @niederberger,

It's now possible to import parent/child relationships via regular import, as per a product update on August 15th. To see the update, open your HubSpot account, click on the account name in the top right corner, followed by Product Updates.

karstenkoehler_0-1660658546384.png

Copied from the announcement:

What is it?

Users can now include the "Parent company" property within a company import file to create parent child associations between companies in bulk.

Why does it matter?

Confidence that you can accurately reflect your business' data in the CRM is key. For many, this means creating parent-child relationships between company records. Today, the only way to create a parent-child relationship is manually on the company record, on a one-by-one basis. This simply doesn't cut it for those who are onboarding on to HubSpot and need to create potentially hundreds of theses associations.

With this update, you will be able to now take this action in bulk by using the imports tool, saving time and energy as you bring your data into HubSpot.

How does it work?

Before creating parent-child company associations via import, make sure that all your parent companies are already within the CRM.

Once all your parent records are in the CRM, find the record ID for your parent companies. You can do this by manually going to each record and searching for Record ID when viewing all properties. Alternatively, you can export a group of companies – the record ID will be the first column found within your import.

Next, create an import file for your child companies. Include a column called "Parent company" and add the record IDs of the corresponding parent companies into this column.

Finally, import this file into HubSpot. Make sure to map the parent company column to the HubSpot property of the same name.

Once your import is complete, you'll have created a parent-child relationship between the records in your import (child companies) and the records identified by the record IDs found within the Parent company column.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

niederberger
Participant

SOLVE

Me again... :). I could add the relationship manually - it's some work but possible. The main issue will be if I import them over the regular import routine it only takes the company once if they have the same doman name, right? So I should probably delete the domains at the child companies then import them and after that operation add the domain names to the child again. Correct or die I made a mistake in my head? Thx, Thomas.

0 Upvotes
CDupuis
Participant

SOLVE

@niederberger did you end up receiving an answer to your follow up question about the order of import related to parent-child companies and domains? It looks like the accepted response was the same for your initial question and follow up. Thanks!

0 Upvotes
niederberger
Participant

SOLVE

Thank You for asking. I'm not sure how I did it a year ago. But the import function improved a lot in the last months. Are you strugling about the domains?

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @niederberger,

This is currently a limitation of HubSpot. A company domain must be unique. Multiple companies or subsidiaries sharing the same domain would always be created/updated in the same record in HubSpot.

There is a feature for this; parent child relationships: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/companies/how-can-i-add-a-parent-or-child-company-to-an-existing-compa...

Out of the box, this feature cannot be used in imports. Other users have requested this but it is not planned by HubSpot, see here: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Import-Parent-Child-Relationships-for-Companies/idi-p...

Importing parent-child relationships is however possible via third-party integrations, Import2 or Trujay for example.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

niederberger
Participant

SOLVE

Thank You so much.

0 Upvotes