Ask Me Anything and Panel Discussions

ajoselow
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

[Closed] Ask Me Anything: Custom Objects

Hi everyone, 

My name is Adrienne and I am a member of the Product Marketing team at HubSpot. As you may have heard, HubSpot introduced a very exciting new feature at INBOUND, custom objects. This tool is something we’ve been working on for quite some time, and we’re excited for you to finally get to try it out. 

Whether you’ve been eagerly awaiting this release, or you’re just starting to familiarize yourself with the tool, we want to hear from you and answer any questions you may have about custom objects.

To ensure you're set up for success with custom objects, we've brought together our most knowledgeable HubSpotters to answer all of your questions. 

We will be answering questions from Monday October 5 - Friday October 9. 

Ask a question below and learn from: 

@ajoselow - Product Marketing Principal 

@ebeck - Product Marketing Manager

@jeffreyr - Director, GTM

@KyleJepson - Academy Professor

@mhodsdon - Solutions Architect 

@nmedina - Product Marketer

@ncarbone - GTM Manager

@Shelby - Product Marketer

Not sure what to ask? Here are a few sample questions to get the conversation started: 

1. What are custom objects?
  2. When should I use a custom object versus a custom field? 
  3. How can I learn more about custom objects?

Want a primer? Here are the basics:

Custom objects are a set of customizable records within your CRM that supplement standard CRM records in a more flexible way. Custom objects allow you to supplement data in a scalable way with flexible associations, so you can  name the object, determine what properties it has, and decide what other objects it can be associated with in your CRM. For more details and use cases, I encourage you to check out the custom objects feature page for an overview of this powerful new feature.

How to get involved: Drop your question in the comments below and we’ll respond throughout the week. If you see a question you’re interested in following, give it an upvote to ensure we know you’re interested in learning more! 

This AMA is now closed. Thank you everyone for your participation and questions. Stay tuned for more AMAs to come! 

88 Replies 88
JVidal7
Participant | Platinum Partner
Participant | Platinum Partner

Hey @ncarbone - Seems like you've been working on it for almost 2 yrs now. Any updates? or at least an ETA?

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
ncarbone
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hey @JVidal7 - which feature? Let me know, happy to update you!

0 Upvotes
GuyTaylor
Guide

Sounds interesting! This is my first time hearing about custom objects so a basic explanation and maybe a few use-cases would be great.

Cheers,
Guy

KyleJepson
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Hi @GuyTaylor !

In addition to the resources @ajoselow mentioned, HubSpot Academy has also put out a free online lesson that goes through this in depth: https://academy.hubspot.com/lessons/custom-objects?library=true 

--Kyle

ajoselow
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Hi Guy!

Great to hear from you. Thank you for the question! Here is some information to get you started...

Custom objects are a set of customizable records within your CRM that supplement standard CRM records in a more flexible way. Custom objects allow you to supplement data in a scalable way with flexible associations, so you can  name the object, determine what properties it has, and decide what other objects it can be associated with in your CRM.

For more details and use cases, I encourage you to check out the custom objects feature page for an overview of this powerful new feature.