CRM

ipenrod

Chatflow does not load for a long time, then appears to work fine

I am attempting to use the Chatflow widget on my site. To the best of my knowledge, this process is expected to be as simple as:

1. Create/configure a new Chatflow
  2. Drop the provided script towards the end of my website's body tag

For some reason, I seem to experience a behavior in which the Chatflow never loads, regardless of how many times I refresh my page, and then after a fairly lengthy period of time (at least several minutes) it appears to load consistently.

I went through some of the documentation and attempted to troubleshoot. I can confirm that the script is present in the DOM, and that additional scripts with my Hubspot ID get added.

For what it's worth, I also seem to constantly notice this error in my console: "Uncaught ReferenceError: adngin is not defined at uic_r_p at HTMLButtonElement.onclick".

In a way, it almost feels like Heroku's super low-tier plans where the servers boot down to preserve machine hours while not in use. I was hoping to test the product on a free tier to decide if I want to upgrade, but the intermittent behavior is a bit concerning. Would someone please help?

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
ipenrod

Hey @elizheleva! Thanks for your response.

I started with testing on WC3Schools's playground, which can be found here. The response time for that page appears to be more than adequate, and I have successfully been able to test other scripts on this page so I don't forsee any issues there when using the HubSpot script element. My team has also helped me test this script across different devices and locations, so we're suspecting this is happening at the account level.

As for which CMS, I am not using any. For the site I'm building (not public at this point) we are coding everything ourselves. Regarding testing on a simple site, I believe the W3Schools sandbox already covers that case and the behavior is identical regardless of whether we test on W3Schools or our own site.

For your final question, I have it configured to run on page load (subject to the `async` and `defer` attributes, of course) with default settings.

Incidentally, it seems to be far more responsive today. I wonder if this could have been some sort of rate throttling since I'm not currently on a paid tier plan? Do you know of any such behavior for Chatflows?  Or maybe it's cached, as you indicated may be happening? Also, we are noticing multiple errors in the developer console when attempting to run the script and believe this may warrant further review.

I appreciate the assistance and look forward to your thoughts!

Best,

Ian

0 Upvotes
elizheleva
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

Hi, @ipenrod ,

Given that code executes from top to bottom, I am wondering if your website has too many scripts before the Hubspot one that result in it taking a long time to load. It seems to me that once it fully loads, then it loads OK because of the cache.

What CMS are you using for your website? Have you tried checking the speed with https://pagespeed.web.dev/? Can you a share a link to your website? 

I would be interested to see the behaviour of the chatbot if you were to create a simple HTML page and add it to your website, i.e. without any CMS, just with the Hubspot code. If that shows up straight away and consistently, then it's likely that it's the CMS or the theme you're using. If you still have issues, it might be a server thing. Apart from CMS/theme reasons I've never experienced problems with the chatflow loading.

Last, but not least, what's your setting for triggering the chatflow? On exit intent, after X time, on X% scroll of the page?

Let me know how you get on,

Eli

Eli Zheleva
Chief Problem solver @ crmsquad | Hubspot Trainer | Hubspot Partner | Community Champion
Still need help? Book a free call with me

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.