CRM

PPenev_1
Contributor

Capturing and Reporting on Deal Amount Differences in the "Amount" Field

SOLVE

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out what the easiest way would be to compare and report on any differences in deal "Amount" field. The business case is the following:

When a deal is won, we sign a contract with the customer for a specific amount of time. The contract auto-renews. When approaching the end of that time-frame, attempt to do an up-sell. Should that happen, we do not create a new deal, but rather we update the information of the current one and extend the contract length.  

I'm trying to figure out an easy way that allows me to capture any differences in the "Amount" field and report on them, however I could not find one. I resorted to creating 2 new properties - one that stores the original deal amount at the time the business was won and one calculated property that subtracts the new deal amount from the original amount.

However, there's another issue that I'm facing. If the Deal amount changes more than once after additional upsells or downgrades over time, that means that the new deal amount will always be subtracted from the original one. I don't know how to capture the values after the second change in the Amount field and forward. I've attached a screenshot to better visualize the whole process.

Any suggestions on how I can solve this problem or how I can introduce a simpler solution would be much appreciated! 

Explanation.png

2 Accepted solutions
PamCotton
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @PPenev_1, Happy Friday!

To track changes in the "Amount" field, you can create a custom property to log historical changes each time the deal amount is updated. Use a workflow to automate this logging, capturing the old and new amounts with timestamps. Then, generate reports based on this change log to see the differences over time. This should help you monitor upsells and downgrades effectively.

To our top experts, @Lucila-Andimol and @Thrive do you have any recommendations for @PPenev_1 matter?

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
Lucila-Andimol
Solution
Thought Leader | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hey @PPenev_1 

In general to keep data integrity and consistency for reporting

we dont modify the original deal to keep record of the original sale.

Any upsell or crosell will become a new deal. Downsells 'd be deals with a negative amount.

For the renewal process what we do is we create a new deal whose amount is a sum of the previous ones (original sale + upsell1+upsell2-downsell1). 

This 'd be the more organized way of working.

If you prefer keep working the way you have set it up

you 'd have to use custom properties (as many as changes are) to copy the values

and a calculation property that makes the sum.

hope this helps

María Lucila Abal | COO Andimol | Accredited Partner
HubSpot Expert, Community Hall of Fame & Certified Trainer (12+ years)

Have questions? Get answers:

Get Premium Support

Did my post help answer your question? Mark this as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
himanshurauthan
Thought Leader | Elite Partner
Thought Leader | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hi @PPenev_1

To maintain data integrity and consistency for reporting, it is essential to adopt a structured approach to deal management. Begin by creating custom properties within the original deal, such as Upsell1Upsell2, and Downsell1, to record each transactional change separately. Implement a calculation property, Total Value, to automatically sum these custom properties along with the original amount, ensuring a clear view of the total value without manual summation. For the renewal process, generate a new deal where the amount is the cumulative sum of the previous transactions, including the original sale, upsells, and downsells. This method preserves the historical records of the original deals, maintains data consistency, and provides a systematic way to track all types of sales transactions within your CRM.

Best regards, 

Digital Marketing & Inbound Expert In Growth Hacking Technology
0 Upvotes
Lucila-Andimol
Solution

SOLVE

Hey @PPenev_1 

In general to keep data integrity and consistency for reporting

we dont modify the original deal to keep record of the original sale.

Any upsell or crosell will become a new deal. Downsells 'd be deals with a negative amount.

For the renewal process what we do is we create a new deal whose amount is a sum of the previous ones (original sale + upsell1+upsell2-downsell1). 

This 'd be the more organized way of working.

If you prefer keep working the way you have set it up

you 'd have to use custom properties (as many as changes are) to copy the values

and a calculation property that makes the sum.

hope this helps

María Lucila Abal | COO Andimol | Accredited Partner
HubSpot Expert, Community Hall of Fame & Certified Trainer (12+ years)

Have questions? Get answers:

Get Premium Support

Did my post help answer your question? Mark this as a solution.

0 Upvotes
PPenev_1
Contributor

SOLVE

Thank you for the solution @Lucila-Andimol , that makes total sense!

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @PPenev_1, Happy Friday!

To track changes in the "Amount" field, you can create a custom property to log historical changes each time the deal amount is updated. Use a workflow to automate this logging, capturing the old and new amounts with timestamps. Then, generate reports based on this change log to see the differences over time. This should help you monitor upsells and downgrades effectively.

To our top experts, @Lucila-Andimol and @Thrive do you have any recommendations for @PPenev_1 matter?

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
PPenev_1
Contributor

SOLVE

Thank you for the quick response, @PamCotton ,that's a very interesting approach! I tried your suggested solution, however, I was unsuccessful in building a workflow that captures each individual amount and puts a timestamp on it via the custom property. I also couldn't figure out how to report on those historical changes and properly visualize them. 

0 Upvotes