CRM

ChapSmurf
Participant

Cannot Import All Companies

SOLVE

I have a .csv file that contains 289 companies. When I import, the total is only 155. There are no errors.

My .csv file has 10 columns, all of which appear to mapping okay, hence no errors. There are some companies with similar names, such as (and I am sort of making these up) Greenacres and Greenacres House, could this be the issue?

Looking at the companies who weren't imported, there is no real reason as to why they should have failed. And as I mentioned, there are no errors so I have nothing to go on. Can anyone throw any light on this at all?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Yeti_Mike
Solution
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Good afternoon ChapSmurf! 

Since you mentioned companies with similar names, was "company domain name" one of the columns you had in your import? If so, HubSpot does use that property to deduplicate companies in an import. Here's a snippet from one of their help articles: 

"When a new company is added through import, HubSpot looks at the Company domain name property value to deduplicate companies. If a company with the same company domain name already exists in your account, the new company information will be added to the existing company record.

If you do not include this property in your import, each row of your import file will be imported as a new company record."

Here's the full article that talks about deduplication across contacts, companies, deals, and tickets: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/contacts/how-does-hubspot-deduplicate-contacts

Let me know if this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Yeti_Mike
Solution
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Good afternoon ChapSmurf! 

Since you mentioned companies with similar names, was "company domain name" one of the columns you had in your import? If so, HubSpot does use that property to deduplicate companies in an import. Here's a snippet from one of their help articles: 

"When a new company is added through import, HubSpot looks at the Company domain name property value to deduplicate companies. If a company with the same company domain name already exists in your account, the new company information will be added to the existing company record.

If you do not include this property in your import, each row of your import file will be imported as a new company record."

Here's the full article that talks about deduplication across contacts, companies, deals, and tickets: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/contacts/how-does-hubspot-deduplicate-contacts

Let me know if this helps!

ChapSmurf
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Yeti_Mike,

As you suggested tt was purely down to the domain name. Once that column was removed from the import, all the companies imported okay.

Many thanks. I guess a few people have fallen at this particular hurdle.

0 Upvotes
Yeti_Mike
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Awesome ChapSmurf! Glad to hear that did the trick! Don't hesitate to reach out if you encounter any further challenges.

0 Upvotes
ChapSmurf
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Yeti_Mike,

Thanks for your response. There is a high chance that the domains will be duplicated as the sector we work in is the care industry, and therefore the individual nursing and care homes will be grouped under the same domain name. So I will remove this column and see if this makes the difference.

However, the few import ommisions I manually checked seemed to be independant homes, and therefore unlikely to share the domain with another homes I was trying to import.

I'll have a read of the link you sent me and I will shout out again if stuck.

Thanks again.

0 Upvotes