CRM

mfinch

Can't add a new company without a Domain

SOLVE

Apparently the developers at HubSpot decided to make the Domain a required field to add a new company in the latest update.  We work with a lot of startups that don't have Domains, so I can't enter a new company into our HubSpot system, not to mention our quoting system is tied to HubSpot, so I can't send the company without a domain a quote either.  

1 Accepted solution
Josh
Solution
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @mfinch,

You can customize what will be required when creating new companies. 

When adding a new company you will be prompted with, "You can customize the properties your team sees here." Click that and then scroll down the page to the section that says, "Set the properties your team sees when creating companies". Click Manage.

Choose to "Start from Default". Here you can require the person to add only a company name vs domain name. This should solve your issue. 

Company-Requirements.PNG

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24
CTavares

SOLVE

I am now 2 days into importing contacts and still no luck. It's frustrating how simple of a task this should be but it isn't. 

I have a spreadhseet with some basic collumns that I'm trying to import: 

First name, Last name, Work email, Job title, Company name

No matter how many different ways I try to import, the Primart Company field shows as empty in the Contacts tab. Please help!

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello, @CTavares I would like to share this knowledge base here with more details on how to troubleshoot import errors. Are there any errors while importing?  The more information, screenshots, and details you can provide, the better I can advise on the next steps.

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

DColeman
Participant

SOLVE

I've read through the thread and am none the wiser! We're on the free edition. My understanding of what has been said is that you can add a company without a domain name, by customising the properties, but that then gives 2 issues: the automatic association using a new contact email address won't work and when creating lists. @Josh explained how to add a company w/o a domain name but the 2 issues potentially created by this still appear unanswered? Sorry if I've misunderstood.

I want to add a list of target companies for which we do not yet have contact names, domain addresses etc and update these as we go. Preferably using as much automation as possible.

Josh

SOLVE

Hi @DColeman,

Correct, if you add a company without a domain, automatic association won't occur. The system has know way of making the association without it. 

I'm not sure I fully understand the second issue as it relates to lists. Can you expand?

Josh 

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.

JordyWatts

SOLVE

Hi Josh, 

I'm new to Hubspot and we're currently on the free version but looking to go to paid almost instantly as soon as we can confirm our setup will work. We're a company that deals with a lot of sports teams at the amateur level and therefore they do not have domain names for their clubs. We might have 4 separate domains from different contacts for a single club which will be a 'company', in an excel/csv file what will be the best way to set this up so that when it comes to importing it will recognise that these emails are associated with that club/company and not the domains of their work emails? Would you be able to walk me through the exact steps we would have to go through including any changes that we would have to make in Hubspot?

0 Upvotes
DColeman
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks Josh, I've been reading a few threads and the list issue was something else sorry for confusion.

0 Upvotes
Josh
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @mfinch,

You can customize what will be required when creating new companies. 

When adding a new company you will be prompted with, "You can customize the properties your team sees here." Click that and then scroll down the page to the section that says, "Set the properties your team sees when creating companies". Click Manage.

Choose to "Start from Default". Here you can require the person to add only a company name vs domain name. This should solve your issue. 

Company-Requirements.PNG

Josh Curcio

TGlady

SOLVE

it seems to work only if you have a paid version, for free version the option to make it non-obligatory seems not to work? : -(

0 Upvotes
SunSwept1

SOLVE

I am not seeing the option to make this change. 

0 Upvotes
Scoozy

SOLVE

It says I have to pay. Do I have to pay to be able to add a company without a domain? This is going to mess me up if I use Hubspot for my website business. ???????????

gelflex-cc
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@Scoozy I can certainly understand your frustration.  I add companies all the time without a domain. Can you send screenshots of exactly where this is happening? 

Please go back to the thread and see the note from @Josh .  

0 Upvotes
kapilnandakumar

SOLVE

I don't think that is the answer to that.

The problem I think he is facing is the same as the one I am facing.

This is what happens:

If we add a Company and the "company domain name" field is not added,  the company won't show in the companies list, even if the "company domain name" field is a 'not-required' field.

0 Upvotes
gelflex-cc
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@kapilnandakumar @mfinch @Josh Hi everyone. This account is HubSpot free.  I add companies every day without a domain name.  Check your settings.  I have gone as far as to hide the website so that is not being inputted either.  

0 Upvotes
kapilnandakumar

SOLVE

We can add the company without the domain.

But can you view it on the companies list under the contact menu?

Search for a company which does not have the "company domain name" in the companies list under the contacts menu? 

If yes please do help us with the settings.

0 Upvotes
gelflex-cc
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@kapilnandakumar Yes, I can.  I am attaching a pdf of a filter I used to pull up active companies without a domain name.  Also attached settings I am using.

Good luck.

company properties.pngno domain.png

0 Upvotes
kapilnandakumar

SOLVE

Thank you. 

We need to ask the developers to make the 'company domain name' field an ignorant field.

Because what happens is, if we want to see all the companies for a certain period of time, the companies without the 'company domain name' cannot be seen without the filter.

And if you use the filter, then we only see the ones without the company domain names.

So inorder to know the total number of companies added we will have to add with and without the filter manually.

It is kind of annoying right.

gelflex-cc
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@kapilnandakumar 

I guess I am missing the point as I can add companies without a domain name everyday and seemingly do not have the issues you experience.  Where are you going for the report where you can not see all the companies and then need to use a filter to find the other companies? 

Are you requiring the company name to show through your company preferences?

0 Upvotes
kapilnandakumar

SOLVE

We can build reports using the 'reports' option under the 'reports' menu.

In that if you try to build a report based on company metrics, the companies without the company domain name won't show in the count. 

0 Upvotes
gelflex-cc
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Is your subscription paid or free?

0 Upvotes
kapilnandakumar

SOLVE

paid

0 Upvotes