CRM

CM

Can I have a new contact via Zapier, instead of updating existing one?

SOLVE

I have a Zap, from a Gmail where the From email address is always the same. Zap sends the email as a Contact in Hubspot. The only unique info is in the email body - a caller's phone number. I have mapped that info to the Message field in Hubspot.

But Hubspot always updates the same contact based on havong the same email address -  I want a new contact each time.

Possible for HS to create a new contact instead of updating based on email address, if the Gmail body text is different - if so, how?

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
AnaïsB
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Sure! 

When you get to your Action step in Zapier in hubspot CRM, you are asked for an email (required). 

You can populate it with tokens from your previous step (= your trigger). If the body of your email only contains 344370 for example, you can place this token in the field. 

etape 1.PNG

which gives this : 

etape2.PNG

This is not a working email, so doooon't use hubspot emailing on those or  you'll screw your deliverability. 😉 But it's unique enough to provide for a key, and hubspot can then create this contact. 

If the body of your email contains other stuff than the caller ID, you might need to use the formatter step and extract the caller ID. 

I hope that's clear!

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
AnaïsB
Participant

SOLVE

Hi, 

Hubspot uses either contact ID or email as a unique key, so that's normal. 

I think the simpler way would be to customize the provided email in zapier : in your "create/update contact" step, add the unique ID you have as token. For ex, "caller id" - "zapier@gmail.com". 

It will create a false email and contacts ressembling 3487393zapier@gmail.com, which is not very best practices, but if you don't have any other properties at this stage and need each contact in your CRM, it will work. 

Hope that helps 🙂

Anaïs

0 Upvotes
CM

SOLVE

Thank you Anais for replying!

I understand your idea, to add something unique in the Zap Action >  Create/Update Contact... but I don't see how to do it. The only unique thing is in the body text of the email - it has the phone number of a new caller each time.

If you have time to explain further, wonderful - but if not, no problem! Thank you!

0 Upvotes
AnaïsB
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Sure! 

When you get to your Action step in Zapier in hubspot CRM, you are asked for an email (required). 

You can populate it with tokens from your previous step (= your trigger). If the body of your email only contains 344370 for example, you can place this token in the field. 

etape 1.PNG

which gives this : 

etape2.PNG

This is not a working email, so doooon't use hubspot emailing on those or  you'll screw your deliverability. 😉 But it's unique enough to provide for a key, and hubspot can then create this contact. 

If the body of your email contains other stuff than the caller ID, you might need to use the formatter step and extract the caller ID. 

I hope that's clear!

0 Upvotes
CM

SOLVE

You're very kind Anais - thank you. Understood, done, and successful 🙂

0 Upvotes