Can I add tags to contacts and companies for filtering them later?

SOLVE
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I would like to use tags for adding information to prospects like source (e.g. facebook) and products they may be interested.
So I was wondering how can I do this with Hubspot CRM.
Can you help me?

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Thought Leader | Diamond Partner

Hi @virtualorbis

You can absolutly do this, by creating whichever custom properties you need. Here's a how to guide: How can I create a custom property in HubSpot?

Hope this helps.

Edit: If custom properties don't work for you and you want real tagging, please vote on this idea: Contact or Company Tags?

Phil Vallender | Inbound marketing for B2B technology companies
0 Upvotes
31 Replies 31
Highlighted
Community Thought Leader | Diamond Partner

Hi @virtualorbis

You can absolutly do this, by creating whichever custom properties you need. Here's a how to guide: How can I create a custom property in HubSpot?

Hope this helps.

Edit: If custom properties don't work for you and you want real tagging, please vote on this idea: Contact or Company Tags?

Phil Vallender | Inbound marketing for B2B technology companies
0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Contributor

This was a feature I loved about Insightly. I really like using HubSpot more but without the tagging option, it is becoming increasingly more difficult to sort contacts.  Please move this to the top of the list. 

Thank you

Highlighted
New Contributor

No offense, Phil, but you can absolutely NOT do this currently.  Custom properties are not the same as tags.  Hubspot need to be able to tag anything, contacts, tasks, notes, etc. so that one can search tags and find all relevant data regardless of where it exists.

Thanks,

James

Highlighted
New Contributor

No, Phil, you *absolutelycannot do this.  Custom properties are *not* tags.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Custom properties (a checkbox list) can work a lot like tag clouds, BUT:

1) I struggle to "share" tags between Companies and Contacts.  Sometimes I know that a contact is interested in, say, "Chocolate Flavor" because they filled out a form.  Other times I want to be able make a really good guess from what their Company does (a dessert shop, for example, would be defaulted to "Chocolate Flavor")

I'd like to be able to target Contacts based on either a Contact's OR a Company's interest in Chocolate Flavor.

2) Some people (not me) may want to do them on the fly, rather than via settings.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted

Adding my voice for tags! I am surprised this isn't available.

Highlighted
Visitor

Yes, please add tags to the "must have" list.  Thanks.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Tagging is extremely necessary. On a serious trial of Hubspot before integrating. Is anything in the works?

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

There's one other benefit that I've come across in additional to having a property consistent across contact types (contacts/companies/deals/etc.). 

I've used the multi checkbox property type to kind of accomplish tags, but just realized today that every time a workflow or bulk edit is made, it overwrites (or unchecks) all the current items that are checked off. Not Good Smiley Sad

Tags is a pretty basic feature in any CRM i've ever worked with. 

Highlighted
New Contributor

I voted on the idea you linked, but that's pretty old. I don't see how we can work without some kind of tags! People say use a multi-checkbox, but if bulk editing that field resets them all, then they're pretty useless, right? I have about a dozen "categories" for our users, and users use more as they see fit. Need a way to manage those in Hubspot!

Highlighted
Visitor
Hi, because we absolutely cannot do this at the moment and because custom properties are not tags I agree. Please could you share with us when this option will be available ? Many thanks
Highlighted
New Contributor

Reporting in from 2020. Please add tags

Highlighted
New Contributor

Is hubspot considering adding real tags? It looks like this question is a couple of years old, but not any real answer on true "tags" like in other CRM.  I really miss the flexibility of tags in Capsule CRM.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Contributor

This would be a very helpful feature for use. I am also +1 this.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Custom properties and tagging aren't the same thing. 

Tagging would be sweet because it's relatively easy and lightweight. Please consider this. 

Highlighted
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

Tagging would be better than always creating a new customer property.  Obviously, there would need to be organization for tags, but other marketing automation systems have them and HubSpot should too.

Highlighted

This is marked as solved, so I guess the idea of adding tagging to the platform is stale. But, I still think it would be a great addition if it was done right.  Teamwork Projects has tagging and organization for it--which is key.  Searching by tag, adding/deleting tags, and automation by tags would be awesome.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Adding my voice to the choir: as a new HubSpot user I'm amazed that the platform doesn't have tagging feature even though it has a tons of other great features Smiley Surprised

Highlighted
New Contributor

Agreed with everyone else: tags are crucial for a successful CRM. You can do it!

Highlighted
New Contributor | Gold Partner

I hope tags features will be introduced asap, also in automation.

F.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Agreed - this is not solved. Tags would be an AWESOME way to quickly find what you need. Consider this application:

I have a long list of 100's of companies who all provide different service types like:

electrical design for aircraft, mechanical design for wheels, pet grooming for hairy pets

If I could produce #tags within the company description of any particular company, I could then quickly do a search for 'grooming' I would get what i need without trying to remember the company's name.  PLEASE make this happen!  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
New Contributor

Wow i can't believe I can't tag. I don't know how I am supposed sort my list. Any workarounds at all?

Highlighted
New Contributor

What I've done is create a field with drop-down options instead of using tags. It's not as easy, but it does the job.  I can always include additional items in the drop-down field - so it can grow.  I hope that helps.

Highlighted
New Contributor

This seems to be a feature in all other CRMs that are not nearly as robust. It's shocking that Hubspot doesn't have this because it's incredibly useful.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Please allow us to tag contacts.  Just moved over from another CRM and I can't believe this option is not available.  It's very difficult to segment contacts without tags. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I do like the concept of tags though you do also need to make sure to have the right controls in place. 

-Make sure everyone knows the process and does it in similar ways. Otherwise, you will never get decent data. 

-Who can add tags? Because you likely will end up with duplicates and again bad data if everyone is just adding them in. Let alone shorthand/spelling mistakes.

Often times in place tagging in the world of unstructured data just because of how companies handle them without proper controls to the point they become useless. 

Justin Perkins
Solutions Engineer
JPerkins@contractlogix.com
Contract LogixLinkedin
Highlighted
New Contributor
I just started using HubSpot recently and I can’t believe there’s no tags! For real, this seems like such a fundamental feature, it makes it so easy to sort contacts and even display info. I want to see at a glance what tags a contact has. Please add this feature!

I’m honestly starting to regret our move to HubSpot from ActiveCampaign. I’m hoping it’s just a learning curve, but there’s some pretty basic things I’m having the hardest time figuring out how to do I HS, where as in ActiveCampaign they were straight forward and simple.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Two years since this was posted and still no TAGS on HubSpot.

Come on guys, lets add this and make your people happy!

Im so blown away this hasn't been added to their system. Very disappointing.

Highlighted

Your best bet is to create custom properties and use them in the way that you may have used tags in a previous CRM. In other CRMs, where both tags and custom fields/properties are available, there are usually far less automation options/filtering rules available for tags vs. those fields/properties.

I think HubSpot has done well to keep it to just properties. Omitting tags keeps the data cleaner and keeps your CRMs better organized.

0 Upvotes