HubSpot Ideas

ccds11

Contact or Company Tags?

Is there a process for associating tags to contacts or companies? If not, is there another way in which to associate certain qualities to contacts and/or companies that are not already listed?

242 Replies
larryneumann

I am also evaluating Hubspot right now, and would like to see tags implemented. I am pretty sure the closest comparable feature is static lists, which can function like tags, at least for contacts. I have used marketing automation tools that use both methods, lists and tags, and agree that tags are more useful.

Lists feels more 90s/database and tags feels more social/current.

mfreddy22
Participant

+1  I'd really like to have a feature like this.

ChrisWoods

Any updates on tags functionality? 

eNinja

Lack of tag support is one of the two biggest features missing from HubSpot CRM and would probably be the easiest (and most game-changing) one to add. +100000000000000000000000

Taylan

Agreed, I think a tagging system within Hubspot would be immensely helpful. Very surprising that such has system has not been implemented yet. Hopefully, HubSpot will implement a tagging system in the near future. Fingers crossed. 

Taylan

Couldn't agree more. Tags are one of the most fundamental features of a marketing automation platform so it's pretty mind-blowing that HubSpot does not offer this. Hubspot, please listen to your users and add a tagging feature! 

dtwuensch

I agree...please add tagging feature

Grovesales

We use ACT but without the ability to create groups or tags we cannot possibly move across to Hubspot which is a real shame because its a great piece of software in every other respect.

Please get Tags working on Hubspot!!

magdalenao

This would be a very helpful feature for use. I am also +1 this.

magdalenao

This would be so useful in order to close deals faster. +1

eloyd
Participant

Apparently, I've had this in the wrong place all this time (https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Contacts-Companies-Deals/Tags-for-deals-contacts-companies/m-p/1991...) so I'm finally getting around to posting it here. The "answer" provided in the other forum is not an answer, it is a placation.

We would like to be able to tag a company, contact, or deal (mainly deals). We'd then like to be able to search for entries that do or do not have one or more tags. We can accomplish something similar with different sales pipelines, but here's the use case:

Customer is in the pipeline. Contact says "we'll buy, but not until fourth quarter." 31 days pass. There's no way to push that deal to the side but keep it part of the pipeline for our CR staff to follow up on, since they're supposed to follow-up with any customer that hasn't been contact in 30 days. Sure, they could read the notes and figure it out, but that's time wasted. If we could tag that deal as "Postponed" or something, then they wouldn't even see it in their search results (search for all deals > 30 days contact & not tagged "Postponed").

Tagging would help coordinate things at a user-customizable level without involving HubSpot for assistance. For instance, you could tag contacts, deals, and companies as "Startups" or "Established" or "West Coast" or "East Coast" or "Blue" and "Red" or whatever you want. Having the tags means you can search for things however you want. And report on things that match those tags as well.

Mostly though, we want to be able to tag deals as being "HOT" or "Delayed" 🙂

Grovesales

We need tags as well, so basic but so useful

sleeperservice

I don't think a custom property is really a solution to tags. It would be great if proper tagging could be implemented.

Replies that suggest custom fields fundamentally midunderstand the nature of tags, their usefulness and how they are used.

Please add tags HubSpot, browsing this forum for 5 minutes clearly shows multiple requests for this feature dating back well over a year. Many of your competitors support this basic feature, it would be great if you chose to implement it.

sleeperservice

I don't think a custom property is really a solution to tags. It would be great if proper tagging could be implemented.

Replies that suggest custom fields fundamentally midunderstand the nature of tags, their usefulness and how they are used.

Please add tags HubSpot, browsing this forum for 5 minutes clearly shows multiple requests for this feature dating back well over a year. Many of your competitors support this basic feature, it would be great if you chose to implement it.

matt1406
Member | Diamond Partner

Some of the examples given on the OP could likely be done with custom fields, but in general a Tags capability is desperately needed on Contacts, Companies, and Deals.  This is a competitive gap with other CRM and related applications.

Adam23

Its definitely imperfect and won't allow you to "search tags" or have them auto suggest as you type (which is annoying). However, the best workaround I've found so far is to simply use a multi-line text (you can use single-line as well but multi-line is nicer visually in my opinion). I used a simple example to prove to myself it works.

1. Create a custom property called tags and choose the field type to be "multi-line text"

2. Open up contact #1 and type the following in your Tags custom field:

Red

Blue

Green

3. Open up contact #2 and type the following in your Tags field:

Red

Blue

Now you go back to the contacts main page and choose filter and search for your "Tags" field. The important difference is that unlike the "multiple checkboxes field", the "multi-line text" field type has a filter option of "contains exactly". You can then type "red blue" and you will see both contact #1 and contact #2 in the filter results. If you add "green" to the list you will only be left with contact #1 in the filter results. It seems to work regardless of word order, capitalization, and whether or not you use commas.

Again, pretty imperfect but it works. You have no idea what anyone else tagged any other clients, but if you can all agree on a general set of tags you can mostly make it work. I actually got a little desperate and took it a bit further by creating an actual contact called "Tag Options". Inside that contact, in a note I listed out all (most) of the tags the team was using.  You can (at mention) @ccds11 @sleeperservice @Grovesales @dtwuensch @Taylan your other team members so they know about the contact. Then as everyone uses more tags they can search for the contact name "Tag Options" and then edit the note inside it. As you keep doing it you'll actually find you refine it down to a shorter list of tags that everyone knows and can agree on.

itjustwerks

A year and a half later and we don't even know if this is in HubSpot's development pipeline? I just assumed this CRM would have Tags, as they are a basic staple of any platform where you might need to arbitrarily label something without pre-configuration. I'm very confused about how HubSpot doesn't see the value of this, and considers a pre-defined custom multi-check field to be even closely relevant to what we're looking for.

Is there any update on the status of this request?

dtwuensch

Here is what I did for "Tags"...

I created a contact property, called "Tags" with a multiple check box option... I add whatever labels I want to use for tags..am not sure what the limit is on number of labels per property...i delete labels when they become irrelevant

David

jcouser
Participant

Totally agree. I'm a new user to Hubspot - and tags would be key. Not sure why this would be so hard for them to implement. You're able to place tag/key words in workflows - it's the same concept.

KatieMarr
Contributor

This is exactly the functionality we are looking for, to be able to tag different conferences our deals came from, so we can create sequences and easily create lists to send them to. These change too frequently for it to be feasible to do through a standard property, so we want a tagging function that will allow us to apply arbitrary points to recall specific deals based on a common tag at a later time. 

Is this something HubSpot is working on?