CRM

HupspotLove
Participant

Best way to categorize contacts by source?

SOLVE

Hello,

So I generated a lot of leads from a recent trade show event. As I'm entering them into HubSpot, is there a way for me to easily filter them out? For instance, if I want to see all the leads from that specific trade show, how do I do that? What's the best way to store that information? Thanks!!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @HupspotLove. When it comes to creating new contacts in HubSpot from offline sources, you may want to consider putting everything into a .csv, then importing that .csv into HubSpot. It may be quicker for you to use a spreadsheet editor for all the data entry. 

As for how to keep track of these, that's up to you. You can either use some text property, like Description, to house some value unique to the offline event, which can then be used for list building. For example, you could use "04-12-17 Vegas Trade Show". Try to pick a naming convention that's consistent, but easily allows you to search for results. I like to use dates of offline events in those values, but that's a matter of preference. 

If no standard property is useful, you may want to create a custom property, then use that in your .csv (or manual create). The key is using consistent values, and in a property not used for other kinds of purposes, or something which gets overwritten over time. But since this is up to you, you're in the position to set your own standard here. Make sure it's something that's unique and meaningful, both to you, and the rest of the organization. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @HupspotLove. When it comes to creating new contacts in HubSpot from offline sources, you may want to consider putting everything into a .csv, then importing that .csv into HubSpot. It may be quicker for you to use a spreadsheet editor for all the data entry. 

As for how to keep track of these, that's up to you. You can either use some text property, like Description, to house some value unique to the offline event, which can then be used for list building. For example, you could use "04-12-17 Vegas Trade Show". Try to pick a naming convention that's consistent, but easily allows you to search for results. I like to use dates of offline events in those values, but that's a matter of preference. 

If no standard property is useful, you may want to create a custom property, then use that in your .csv (or manual create). The key is using consistent values, and in a property not used for other kinds of purposes, or something which gets overwritten over time. But since this is up to you, you're in the position to set your own standard here. Make sure it's something that's unique and meaningful, both to you, and the rest of the organization. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.
HupspotLove
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you for your input! I will make a custom field 🙂

0 Upvotes
jordan_yocum
Contributor

SOLVE

When we have Trade Show leads, we we upload a list, typically .csv, with the Trade Show name and date. Then when I want to follow up with all of my SMX West 2017 leads I can filter by list membership, and anyone on that list will show up! 

Hope this helps.