CRM

jjokinen
Contributor

Automatically associating contacts to child companies based on geographical location

SOLVE

Hi!

I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a way for automatically associating new contacts to child companies based on the matching geographical location between the new contact and the child company?

We are working with many global companies and have set up the HQ/global office/group level office as the parent company and subsidiaries in different locations as child companies. However, when a new contact's email domain is the same as they use in the HQ (e.g. contact's email domain is @acme.com even though they are working at a subsidiary, as opposed to the domain being e.g. @acmec.co.uk) they get automatically associated with the parent company. Is there a way to automatically associate them with the matching subsidiary instead?

I guess I could exclude certain domains from automatic association and then build separate workflows for these domains but that doesn't feel too scalable.

Thanks,

Joel

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Jonno_Price
Solution
Guide | Platinum Partner
Guide | Platinum Partner

Automatically associating contacts to child companies based on geographical location

SOLVE

Hi @jjokinen 

I hope this is not too controversial but I've never been much of a fan of the Parent / Child company feature in HubSpot because you can't upload contacts to child companies via the import function or via API unless you use a 3rd party tool..

I usually recommend that my clients instead create different companies (on the parent level) for each of the regional locations. E.g. Amazon UK, Amazon FR, Amazon HQ etc and then assign the relevant contacts to each. This still requires manual review as often the domains will be the same. 

However I believe all of the above is now better managed using multi-association enhancements which has recently been released. You can now associate multiple companies to each contact and you can even give company types a unique tag. E.g. you can associate the contact to ACME UK as the primary with the label of "Regional Office" and ACME HQ with the label of "Global HQ" .

Hope that helps!

Jonno Price
Growth London Ltd.
Platinum Hubspot Solutions Partner

Did my post help answer your query? Please help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Jonno_Price
Solution
Guide | Platinum Partner
Guide | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @jjokinen 

I hope this is not too controversial but I've never been much of a fan of the Parent / Child company feature in HubSpot because you can't upload contacts to child companies via the import function or via API unless you use a 3rd party tool..

I usually recommend that my clients instead create different companies (on the parent level) for each of the regional locations. E.g. Amazon UK, Amazon FR, Amazon HQ etc and then assign the relevant contacts to each. This still requires manual review as often the domains will be the same. 

However I believe all of the above is now better managed using multi-association enhancements which has recently been released. You can now associate multiple companies to each contact and you can even give company types a unique tag. E.g. you can associate the contact to ACME UK as the primary with the label of "Regional Office" and ACME HQ with the label of "Global HQ" .

Hope that helps!

Jonno Price
Growth London Ltd.
Platinum Hubspot Solutions Partner

Did my post help answer your query? Please help the community by marking it as a solution.

TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @jjokinen 

Thank you for reaching out.

I want to tag some of our experts on this - @Mike_Eastwood @Jonno_Price what are your thoughts for @jjokinen on this? 

Thank you!

Best

Tiphaine

Saviez vous que la Communauté est disponible en français?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes