CRM

IanRogers
Participant

Automatically Merging Facebook Messenger & Email Contacts

SOLVE

Our Hubspot is connected to both Facebook Messenger and Email.

Clients send a FB Messenger inquiry and it creates a contact for them automatically. We ask them to fill out a form on our website.

Then clients fill out the form and it creates a NEW contact with all the information they enter on the form.

Is there a way to automatically connect the two contacts: Facebook and Website form generated?

We can merge some of the contacts manually, but this is difficult since sometimes people don't use the same name on Facebook that they use for email forms.

1 Accepted solution
rlopez
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @IanRogers 🙂

I only have a theory because I need more information. I think that you get two contacts because:

• When a prospect starts a chat in Facebook Messenger, HubSpot doesn't set the cookie, only create the contact. This is the first record.
  • You ask him to fill out the form, so he opens the landing page but the HubSpot tracking code cannot identify him. Remember, there's no cookie.
  • He fills the form, and you get the second record.

I recommend this procedure:

• I assume that you aren't using a bot, so you can ask him for the email and note it in the inbox right column.
  • Once you have the email saved, you can ask him to fill out the form on the landing page.
  • Now, when the user fills the email field, HubSpot doesn't create a second record.

That's all 🙂

Regards,

Rafael López

[ Si esta publicación te ha ayudado con tu problema ayuda a la comunidad marcándola como solución ]
[ If this response helped you, please mark it as a solution ]

Rafael López
Head of Marketing
Odontonet by Glintt

HubSpot Community Champion

linkedininstagram

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
CTrimmer
Participant

SOLVE

I would like to add to this request, we have the same issue. Every time the contact starts a new conversation in Messenger, HS creates them as a new contact. (there is no email address associated with the new conversation). This seem like something that should be solved. How else does a CRM like HS expect to keep all the associated records intact? Can HS capture the unique Messenger user name and add it to the contact record?

IanRogers
Participant

SOLVE

The explanation makes sense, and the solution, while not ideal, is achievable.  I have also added a line on the form asking for users Facebook account name, but this only helps for manually merging the two contacts, doesn't add any layer of automation.

If there are any other more robust solutions for automating the merging of contacts between those generated through Facebook Messenger conversations and those generated through Wordpress-generated contacts, it would be helpful to know.

Thanks.

rlopez
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @IanRogers 🙂

I only have a theory because I need more information. I think that you get two contacts because:

• When a prospect starts a chat in Facebook Messenger, HubSpot doesn't set the cookie, only create the contact. This is the first record.
  • You ask him to fill out the form, so he opens the landing page but the HubSpot tracking code cannot identify him. Remember, there's no cookie.
  • He fills the form, and you get the second record.

I recommend this procedure:

• I assume that you aren't using a bot, so you can ask him for the email and note it in the inbox right column.
  • Once you have the email saved, you can ask him to fill out the form on the landing page.
  • Now, when the user fills the email field, HubSpot doesn't create a second record.

That's all 🙂

Regards,

Rafael López

[ Si esta publicación te ha ayudado con tu problema ayuda a la comunidad marcándola como solución ]
[ If this response helped you, please mark it as a solution ]

Rafael López
Head of Marketing
Odontonet by Glintt

HubSpot Community Champion

linkedininstagram