Automatic lifecycle stage assignmentsSOLVE
May 22, 2017 6:54 PM - edited May 22, 2017 6:54 PM
Probably another newbie question, but is there a way to stop Hubspot from automatically assigning contacts into lifecycle stages?
Not all contacts are 'leads', which can include lawyers, insurance, etc.
From Business Development point of view, this is quite annoying and messes up contacts. If possible, I would like to automatically assign my contacts to 'others'...
Solved! Go to Solution.
May 23, 2017 6:15 AM
Hey @TT first off - welcome to the Community, secondly - there's no such thing as a 'newbie question'
Lifecycle Stage is a default HubSpot property, designed to designate where contacts are in your marketing funnel. Each stage represents a transition down the inbound sales/marketing funnel - they cannot be customized, but you can determine HOW they are applied.
2. The first lifecycle stage of a contact depends upon how the contact was created in HubSpot:
- For contacts added manually in the HubSpot CRM, the default Lifecycle Stage is always Lead.
- For contacts who were added by converting on a HubSpot marketing form or lead flow, the default lifecycle stage is Lead unless otherwise specified on the form.
- For contacts who are imported in using a .csv file, you will have the option select a default lifecycle stage during the import process. Learn more about importing contacts here.
- The CRM will update the lifecycle stage of Contacts or Companies when they first become associated with a deal and when that deal reaches a deal stage with a 100% probability (Closed Won).
- When a Company is associated with a deal, the lifecycle stage will update to 'Opportunity'.
- When a Contact is associated with a deal, the lifecycle stage will update to 'Opportunity' provided they do not have their lifecycle stage set to 'customer', 'evangelist', or 'other'.
- Once a deal associated with a Contact or Company reaches a deal stage with 100% probability (Closed Won), then the lifecycle stage will update to 'Customer'.
You can manage this setting under Settings > Deals > toggle the setting to turn it off or on.
Note: When the lifecycle stage of a Company is updated, the lifecycle stage of all Contacts associated with that Company will also be updated if 'Lifecycle stage sync' is enabled within Settings > Companies.
...There's a lot to digest there, but what I hope this helps clarify how Lifecycle Stages are designed to work in line with the HubSpot product and sales methodology. I've seen a few experts on thsi Community - CC @Samantha_Alford @Josh @kcooper - provide some great insights on CRM best practices.
All the information above is pulled directly from HubSpot's Knowledge Base.