CRM

psx
Participant

Auto sequential ID for contacts

SOLVE

Hi

I need to set (preferably a sequential ID) for each contact - so we can easily refer to a person by number. Is that possible? I understand that each contact have a VID - and that we cannot display that in the hubspot interface - is that correct?

1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

2000px-Ok_sign_font_awesomeDid my post help answer your query?

Help the Community by marking it as SOLVED

Q: I need to set (preferably a sequential ID) for each contact ... Is that possible? I understand that each contact have a VID - and that we cannot display that in the hubspot interface - is that correct?

Short A: No auto-creation of enumerated values. And no we cannot display the VID in the interface directly. You are correct.

Longer A

But there are two major problems when planning to assign unique customer IDs in a CRM that doesn't allow multiple keyed fields or read-only fields.

- Duplicate Customer IDs - HubSpot doesn't auto-dedup any field other than the email address -- the index (key).

- The fields will be editable -- HubSpot doesn't support read-only contact properties, so even if you create the Customer IDs outside of HubSpot and import them anyone with edit access to the contact record will be able to change (aka: corrupt) the customer id thereby introducing potential duplicates that will be a nightmare to identify and reconcile.

Recommendation? Seriously rethink the strategy and consider using the email address as the identifier. 

Hope that helps.

share-on-Linkedin-Button-75x19.png 

hubspot-forum-signature-badge-v01.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

Please tag @MFrankJohnson if you'd like me to respond.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Unmatched
Participant

SOLVE

Hey! Matt from Unmatched here.

We've built an app for this! Sequential does exactly what you're looking for, it adds a sequential number onto a deal when it's created (or whatever your workflow criteria is).

Here's the link to the App Marketplace Listing.

Enjoy! Any questions, please reach out to me on LinkedIn or via our website.

Matt

JMcNeil1701
Participant

SOLVE

I want to link data from a source without e-mail addresses, I can't do that if I can't uniquely identify the information with an auto-number field. Hey hubspot, please add this to the ideas area if not already done so.

0 Upvotes
yfundora
Participant

SOLVE

Hi!

I have the same problem. Have you resolved this? Thanks!

MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

2000px-Ok_sign_font_awesomeDid my post help answer your query?

Help the Community by marking it as SOLVED

Q: I need to set (preferably a sequential ID) for each contact ... Is that possible? I understand that each contact have a VID - and that we cannot display that in the hubspot interface - is that correct?

Short A: No auto-creation of enumerated values. And no we cannot display the VID in the interface directly. You are correct.

Longer A

But there are two major problems when planning to assign unique customer IDs in a CRM that doesn't allow multiple keyed fields or read-only fields.

- Duplicate Customer IDs - HubSpot doesn't auto-dedup any field other than the email address -- the index (key).

- The fields will be editable -- HubSpot doesn't support read-only contact properties, so even if you create the Customer IDs outside of HubSpot and import them anyone with edit access to the contact record will be able to change (aka: corrupt) the customer id thereby introducing potential duplicates that will be a nightmare to identify and reconcile.

Recommendation? Seriously rethink the strategy and consider using the email address as the identifier. 

Hope that helps.

share-on-Linkedin-Button-75x19.png 

hubspot-forum-signature-badge-v01.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

Please tag @MFrankJohnson if you'd like me to respond.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
fatih
Participant

SOLVE

Hi,

Since we are a B2C company, it is really hard to talk about our leads with the email address rather than a unique ID number. Is there any way to add a unique ID on a property or on the inquiry page?

psx
Participant

SOLVE

Only a few of my contacts have an email address in the sytem - so I cannot use that. Any idea why Hubspot have decided not to show the VID?