CRM

toricook
Top Contributor

Auto-Close Deals After Unresponsive Sales Sequence

SOLVE

Hi community!

Looking for some advice on automating closing deals in a particular situation.

We have deals in "New MQL" and "SDR Nurturing" deal stages. When we get a new deal, their associated contact receives an initial sales sequence. Once they are done with the sales sequence, we typically close/lose their deal if we did not receive a response. Currently, after the sales sequence is complete and with no response, we set up a task on the contact record that says "Close out deal."

I'd like to find a way to then automatically close the deal itself (changing both the "deal stage" and "close lost reason") as well as automatically close out the task.

I've tried several ways of doing this but have yet to find a way to connect a contact task updating deal properties. Any ideas?

3 Accepted solutions
warrendavey
Solution
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Have you thought about putting a delay on a workflow for the time it takes a sequence to progress?  Then you can add criteria to the workflow to not execute if the deal changes stages or has a known reply time stamp. 

✔️ Was I able to help answer your question? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Davey Waren
Pearagon

Still have questions? Let's Talk

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

>>"I'd like to find a way to then automatically close the deal itself (changing both the "deal stage" and "close lost reason") as well as automatically close out the task."

No built-in native HubSpot functionality to trigger deal closure (or state changes) from Sequences.

An alternative approach may be to delay deal creation until interest is established and opportunity exists. This (best practice) will eliminate the need to clean-up extra deals and give your conversion numbers greater meaning.

- se Manage lifecycle stages sync settings (Deals section)

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

0 Upvotes
SMAlexander
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Here is the solution for this :). 

I've read multiple threads regarding a topic and i discovered a solution that we've implemented and is working very good. 

1. Delete the automatic task from the sequence. And let's say the sequence have 5 emails

2. Set a preliminary stage for all the leads that are coming from inbound or whatever. Let's name it "LEAD". 

3. Set up a workflow with:

3.1 Deal Wnrollment Trigger - Deal Stage is any of "LEAD" (the stage from where do you want to grab this deals" ; AND ; Number of times contacted is equal to 5 (from point 1).

3.2. Set Property Value - Set deal property to LOST deal

etc etc ( if you want to add more triggers and whatever ). For ex. we've added after point 3. To receive a in-app notification and to create a follow-up task after 3 months. 

Enjoy 🙂

8 Replies 8
SMAlexander
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Here is the solution for this :). 

I've read multiple threads regarding a topic and i discovered a solution that we've implemented and is working very good. 

1. Delete the automatic task from the sequence. And let's say the sequence have 5 emails

2. Set a preliminary stage for all the leads that are coming from inbound or whatever. Let's name it "LEAD". 

3. Set up a workflow with:

3.1 Deal Wnrollment Trigger - Deal Stage is any of "LEAD" (the stage from where do you want to grab this deals" ; AND ; Number of times contacted is equal to 5 (from point 1).

3.2. Set Property Value - Set deal property to LOST deal

etc etc ( if you want to add more triggers and whatever ). For ex. we've added after point 3. To receive a in-app notification and to create a follow-up task after 3 months. 

Enjoy 🙂

toricook
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks, this is the closest to the option I chose.

In addition, in a workflow, I excluded anyone who had "Date of last meeting booked in meetings tool" and "Recent sales email replied date" known so that if they had replied to an email or they had booked a meeting after the 5th contact, the deal did not auto-close.

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

>>"I'd like to find a way to then automatically close the deal itself (changing both the "deal stage" and "close lost reason") as well as automatically close out the task."

No built-in native HubSpot functionality to trigger deal closure (or state changes) from Sequences.

An alternative approach may be to delay deal creation until interest is established and opportunity exists. This (best practice) will eliminate the need to clean-up extra deals and give your conversion numbers greater meaning.

- se Manage lifecycle stages sync settings (Deals section)

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
toricook
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Another potential work-around for us, though it's not perfect for how we currently use deals. We use deals for not only our sales pipeline but also our SDR pipeline. Only leads in our target market (which we consider to be MQLs) get entered into the pipeline for sales development. We then nurture them to a sales-ready status.

A majority of those MQLs get sales sequences but not all of them - some get more highly personalized messaging. The biggest reason why we create deals for SDR is so that we can track the stages from a new MQL to sales-ready to SQL to close. Unfortunately, if I don't have a deal associated with them it's pretty hard to perfectly track whether a new "MQL" makes it to a sales-ready stage with the work we do in marketing and sales dev. The only way I have found to sort of track this is through the "became MQL" close date and so forth... with lifecycle stages but it doesn't have each one we want - which is why we use deals/deal stages. (That's a whole other thing I am still trying to solve!)

So, I hear what you are saying about delaying deal creation. But we would need to rework the entire way we run our pipeline and solve the challenge of tracking deals through marketing/sales development nurturing. 

Good to know that there seems to be nothing out-of-the-box that can get us there. Any creative ideas for something I can trigger in one contact-based workflow that could then appropriately trigger a deal-creation workflow? This would save a lot of time at least for managing a majority of deals in the sales dev phase.

Good to hear from all of you to constantly be revising and perfecting our process. Thanks for your input!

JustinPerkinsC
Top Contributor

SOLVE

I would say we had the initial issue with Sequences where you look at having other items beyond notifications happen I found the workflow to be the good medium. 

Just to talk through how it works for us today. We actually are leveraging initial Contact Status/Company Statuses manually though we do still set the lifecycle.

When a Contact his a certain status it automatically create a deal here. The reason I like this is that specific contact is now associated with the deal, and so is the company. This way you can now trigger emails to that individual contact. 

Where this has the downside is the workflow will not stop as it will with sequences unless you have specific goal criteria, and a reply to an email cant be one. So it would rely a bit more on the reps keeping up with items. Goals are amazing for stopping a workflow but you could also use some If/Then statements to control paths someone moves. 

This gives you a ton more options with what needs to happen when, from tasks, emails, automatically updating the main and associated records. I really like being able to carry values across to sub-records to know where things have promoted. This way I can look at a specific associated contact and know where the attached deal is in the pipeline.

Hope that adds a couple more pennies to this convo. 

Justin Perkins
Marketing Operations Manager
JPerkins@contractlogix.com
Contract LogixLinkedin
0 Upvotes
toricook
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks for your response! Another potential way to consider it - different pros, different cons. It would be great if "contact replied" could be a goal for workflows!

0 Upvotes
warrendavey
Solution

SOLVE

Have you thought about putting a delay on a workflow for the time it takes a sequence to progress?  Then you can add criteria to the workflow to not execute if the deal changes stages or has a known reply time stamp. 

✔️ Was I able to help answer your question? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Davey Waren
Pearagon

Still have questions? Let's Talk

0 Upvotes
toricook
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks for the suggestion. That could be a possible workaround but we have several sales sequences we use with different lengths so it wouldn't quite be perfect time-wise in each case. I could see this working enough for us if it's the only solution, though I'd prefer if I could find a way to trigger a deal action from a sales sequence if possible.