CRM

MCogswell

Associate company with deals when importing

SOLVE

I'm starting with a clean CRM (no records). I want to import contacts and deals and associate the deals with the contacts and companies. I've done a small test import and everything works great, except the deals are not associated with the companies. I have two csv files that I'm importing. One is the Contacts file and one is the Deals file. I'm doing a "Multiple Files with Associations" import, selecting "Contacts" and "Deals", selecting "Email" as a common header,  and selecting "Contact" for which email is the unique key. 

The following are the fields in my Contact file:
First Name, Last Name, Company Name, Street Address, City, State, Postal Code, Country, Phone, Email

The following are the fields in my deals file:

Deal Name, Deal Description, Amount, Email, Close Date, Deal Pipeline, Deal Stage, Company Name

The contacts are being created sucessfully and the companies are also being created. Each contact has multiple deals, and the deals are all succesfully assoicated with the proper contacts. And the contacts are associated with the proper companies. 

The only thing that does not happen is associating the deals with the companies. Is there a way I can modify my import files to cause the Deal/Company association to happen? Or do I need to do anything differently? Thanks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
MCogswell
Solution

SOLVE

SOLVED -  I had to combine my data into a single file. It seems you can only create associations between two objects when using multiple files. When doing the multiple files, I chose Contacts and Deals.

Today I combined everything into a single csv file and I was able to select Companies, Contacts and Deals when doing the import and everything associated. Here are the field headings my csv has:

Deal Name, Deal Description, Amount, First Name, Last Name, Company Name, Street Address, City, State, Postal Code, Country, Phone, Email, Domain, Close Date, Deal Pipeline, Deal Stage

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
MCogswell
Solution

SOLVE

SOLVED -  I had to combine my data into a single file. It seems you can only create associations between two objects when using multiple files. When doing the multiple files, I chose Contacts and Deals.

Today I combined everything into a single csv file and I was able to select Companies, Contacts and Deals when doing the import and everything associated. Here are the field headings my csv has:

Deal Name, Deal Description, Amount, First Name, Last Name, Company Name, Street Address, City, State, Postal Code, Country, Phone, Email, Domain, Close Date, Deal Pipeline, Deal Stage

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MCogswell,

Correct, either you have all information in one file or you need to provide a key for HubSpot between two files.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
MCogswell

SOLVE

Karsten - I understand that and that's what I did when I imported two files. I identified Email as the key between the two files. And it worked great to associate all the deals with the correct contact. But it does not seem possible to also associate Deals with Companies when using two files. We're limited to creating an association between just two objects (such as Contacts and Deals) and can't create associations between three objects (Contacts as Deals as well as Companies and Deals). So the linking of a key worked in my two-file import but it doesn't not solve how to associate all three objects. But importing a single file worked great.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MCogswell,

For HubSpot to associate contacts/companies with deals upon import, you need give HubSpot a key between the two files.

You can find examples of what that would look like in the sample file section here, under Import multiple objects in two files: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/set-up-your-import-file#multiple-objects-with-associations

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

MCogswell

SOLVE

Yes, that's what I did in my original two-file import. I identified Email as the key. I expanded on this in my reply to your other reply above.

0 Upvotes