CRM

DoraMeleg
Contributor

Asking for work email of contacts

SOLVE

Hi! 

We are running Linkedin lead gen ads, where people can autofill the form on Linkedin with their account's data, and sign up for an ebook/webinar. Since most ofthe people have their personal email address as primary on Linkedin, we get a lot of gmails from otherwise qualified contacts. 

I would like to offer them the opportunity to give their company email address, to receive the materials there. 

How can I do this? I can set up a trigger in a workflow to send these people an email, I am OK up to that point. Maybe that email can point to a form where they could give their company address.

But how will Hubspot connect that form fill to the right contact? E.g. I have john@gmail.com signed up, I send him the email leading to the form, where he inputs john.smith@bestcompany.com, will HS know to update the original contact? 

If they fill that out, will the new email be their primary contact in Hubspot? 

Any other way to do this? 

3 Accepted solutions
Crystal_Hopper
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @DoraMeleg! You are correct, Hubspot knows if a contact provides 1 email address but fills out another form with a 2nd email address. Browser cookies and IP address help to make this connection. There is not a 100% success rate. Some users, like me 😉, keep our browsers cleared out and try not to let cookies do their job. By and large, your idea will work. Just watch out for the times when it doesn't and be prepared for some manual research and clean up. 

The way this will look on a Hubspot Contact is that they will have multiple email addresses. I don't recall if the new email address becomes primary or if the original ones stays primary. You can go in and choose one of the addresses to be primary and then delete the Gmail or Yahoo address if you want. Again, this is manual work but you're contacts will be better for it in the end. 

I also want to caution you about asking/forcing them to give you a corporate email address. This may turn off some people. Some people want to hide behind a generic email. Be ok with this to some extent so that it does not negatively impact your ability to reach your leads even if the path is not yet ideal.

Did my post solve the questions or challenge? Please mark it as a solution for others to find.

View solution in original post

Lucila-Andimol
Solution
Thought Leader | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @DoraMeleg hope you are doing well.

First you can start by adding a text in the field asking for the company email

Then you can send them an email, and if the person updates their email in a form

HubSpot will update it (all because of the traking code)

In regular HubSpot forms you can block free emails like gmail/hotmail/yahoo

and only allow company emails to be writen.

But this is not possible if you are using the Lead ads forms.

During the sales process you can ask your sales team

to ask for the corporate email as a must to advance in the pipeline

You think this 'd be possible for you?

María Lucila Abal | COO Andimol
HubSpot Expert, Community Champion & Certified Trainer (12+ years)

Have questions? Get answers:

Get Premium Support

Did my post help answer your question? Mark this as a solution.

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @DoraMeleg,

Great question! First, when you encourage a LinkedIn lead gen ad contacts to submit a form on your website, you can block freemail domains from forms. This should help with gathering actual work emails.

When someone clicks through from an email and accepts HubSpot cookies, HubSpot should be able to connect the dots, update the contact accordingly and make this new work email address the primary one.

This will not always work, unfortunately, and in that case HubSpot will create a new contact. You'll have to manually deduplicate these contacts.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

3 Replies 3
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @DoraMeleg,

Great question! First, when you encourage a LinkedIn lead gen ad contacts to submit a form on your website, you can block freemail domains from forms. This should help with gathering actual work emails.

When someone clicks through from an email and accepts HubSpot cookies, HubSpot should be able to connect the dots, update the contact accordingly and make this new work email address the primary one.

This will not always work, unfortunately, and in that case HubSpot will create a new contact. You'll have to manually deduplicate these contacts.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Lucila-Andimol
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @DoraMeleg hope you are doing well.

First you can start by adding a text in the field asking for the company email

Then you can send them an email, and if the person updates their email in a form

HubSpot will update it (all because of the traking code)

In regular HubSpot forms you can block free emails like gmail/hotmail/yahoo

and only allow company emails to be writen.

But this is not possible if you are using the Lead ads forms.

During the sales process you can ask your sales team

to ask for the corporate email as a must to advance in the pipeline

You think this 'd be possible for you?

María Lucila Abal | COO Andimol
HubSpot Expert, Community Champion & Certified Trainer (12+ years)

Have questions? Get answers:

Get Premium Support

Did my post help answer your question? Mark this as a solution.

Crystal_Hopper
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @DoraMeleg! You are correct, Hubspot knows if a contact provides 1 email address but fills out another form with a 2nd email address. Browser cookies and IP address help to make this connection. There is not a 100% success rate. Some users, like me 😉, keep our browsers cleared out and try not to let cookies do their job. By and large, your idea will work. Just watch out for the times when it doesn't and be prepared for some manual research and clean up. 

The way this will look on a Hubspot Contact is that they will have multiple email addresses. I don't recall if the new email address becomes primary or if the original ones stays primary. You can go in and choose one of the addresses to be primary and then delete the Gmail or Yahoo address if you want. Again, this is manual work but you're contacts will be better for it in the end. 

I also want to caution you about asking/forcing them to give you a corporate email address. This may turn off some people. Some people want to hide behind a generic email. Be ok with this to some extent so that it does not negatively impact your ability to reach your leads even if the path is not yet ideal.

Did my post solve the questions or challenge? Please mark it as a solution for others to find.