Am I the only one who thinks Companies and Contacts is badly done?

SRJenkins

Maybe I am just a Neanderthal who doesn't "get it", but it seems like HubSpot tries too hard to make the Company/Contact relationship more complicated than it needs to be.

Intuitively, Contacts are a subset of Companies, and associating them is a simple one-to-many relationship where selecting or inputting a Company name during Contact creation would establish the connection.

Believe it or not, even in this day and age, many of us have customer sets that do not use email as their primary communication platform, much less using a company-specific domain.

Why are we not able to simply have a contact and company relationship that is as simple as the way something like Outlook groups these things?  This hang-up is what is keeping me from pulling the trigger and implementing HubSpot in my company, where we have never had a CRM of any kind.  This cumbersome functionality is just not intuitive at all, and I don't relish the idea of my troops stumbling all over this.

Am I the only one here?

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
jennysowyrda
Community Manager

Hi @SRJenkins,

Thank you for your feedback! 

You can associate a contact and a company without an email address or website by following the steps outlined here.

If you have a specific way that you would like companies and contacts to connect, I would recommend creating an idea in our ideas forum. The more use cases, screenshots and details as to how this change would benefit your workflow ( and could help other users) the better.

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
SRJenkins

What I would like is to import a single file that has names and companies in it, and have HubSpot automatically create the one-to-many relationships.  For people migrating in from simple contacts and spreadsheet files, this should be a simple process.

I have seen this same request in several other topics, so I see no upside to adding it to the ideas forum. HubSpot has clearly decided to not develop this, and it makes the platform almost a non-starter for me.  I've tried to figure out a way to make it work, but it's just reached a point where it's not worth it.  Great platform (seemingly) besides this, but I will keep looking for other solutions.

Yes, I realize there are probably 3rd party migration services that could take care of this, but if HubSpot is tone-deaf enough to ignore all the people that have raised this, it does not give me confidence that other simple requests are given consideration.  It seems like a case of "This is how we do it, regardless of how intuitive another approach might be." 

0 Upvotes
EvertonWallace

You are not the only one who feels this way.

0 Upvotes