CRM

tarkana
Participant

Allow self-assign ownership but not to others?

SOLVE

Is there a way to allow users to edit the company/contact accounts that they own (or assign ownership to themselves if non is assigned) but not let them reassign ownership to another user?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Q: Is there a way to allow users to edit the company/contact accounts that they own (or assign ownership to themselves if non is assigned) but not let them reassign ownership to another user??

Short A: No.

Longer A:

>>Is there a way to allow users to edit the company/contact accounts that they own ??

Yes.

>>Is there a way to allow users to assign ownership to themselves if not assigned?

Yes.

>>Is there a way to allow users to assign ownership to themselves if not assigned, but not let them reassign ownership to another user?

NO.

The best way to handle this is to ...
-1- Manage contact/company assignment from a Workflow
-2- Select properties to show under the About section in a record
-3- Remove the ownership property from the About section in a record

- see Select properties to show under the About section in a record

- see HubSpot user permissions guide

Help answer your question? If so, remember to accept this solution now.

Best,
Frank

Chief HubSpot Consultant

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v05.png

MFrankJohnson.com | Perfect HubSpot Series | Connect on LinkedIn

Help find posts quickly ... accept this solution now.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
Participant

SOLVE

We are not able to assign ourselves to a company unless we have Admin or "Everything" selected in user preferences. Since most unsassigned items should be available for poeple to work, I would like people with "Owned only" or "Team Only" to have the ability to assign themselves to a company or contact if unassigned. We show the contact owner property on both the Company and Contact screen. We also provide for non Admin or "Everything" users to see all unasssigned. I see no point in giving everyone the ability to see the unassigned without being able to claim it. Please help and get this added ASAP!

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Q: Is there a way to allow users to edit the company/contact accounts that they own (or assign ownership to themselves if non is assigned) but not let them reassign ownership to another user??

Short A: No.

Longer A:

>>Is there a way to allow users to edit the company/contact accounts that they own ??

Yes.

>>Is there a way to allow users to assign ownership to themselves if not assigned?

Yes.

>>Is there a way to allow users to assign ownership to themselves if not assigned, but not let them reassign ownership to another user?

NO.

The best way to handle this is to ...
-1- Manage contact/company assignment from a Workflow
-2- Select properties to show under the About section in a record
-3- Remove the ownership property from the About section in a record

- see Select properties to show under the About section in a record

- see HubSpot user permissions guide

Help answer your question? If so, remember to accept this solution now.

Best,
Frank

Chief HubSpot Consultant

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v05.png

MFrankJohnson.com | Perfect HubSpot Series | Connect on LinkedIn

Help find posts quickly ... accept this solution now.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
tarkana
Participant

SOLVE

Yes thanks for clarifying. Assigning owners by workflow doesn't really accomplish what I need as sales work their own hours, so I need whoever is active to be able to pick up them up as they come in, and not sit around assigned to someone not working that day.

Also, it does not seem to be possible to hide the ownership field. I never had it selected as one of the visible properties to begin with, yet it was always there. I tried selecting it then removing it, but that didn't do anything.

I guess it's off to the suggestion board to request more granular control of contact/company ownership.

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Thanks for marking as solved @tarkana,

Here's a thought -- (it's a bit messy). If your lead volume isn't too high, maybe send an internal notification email to all sales personnel as each lead arrives. The one working that day would act on the notification and the others would ignore it.
[ Told you it was messy. haha 😉 ]

Also, regarding 'hiding' hide the ownership field ...

There are two (2) places where visibility is controlled for HubSpot properties:
1) Account-wide default properties
2) User-specific properties

BOTH must be modified to control visibility for each HubSpot user.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Frank

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
tarkana
Participant

SOLVE

Hmm, yes that is rather messy. I can see how that would be workable in some scenarios, though I think in my case it would cause more issues than it would solve, though I do appreciate you taking the time to think up a workaround.

On the hiding the field, the user-specific properties only seems to allow module-wide control, so I can't change property field visibility there.

I added comments to a few threads in the idea forum, so hopefully someone will take a look at it at some point, though it looks like I shouldn't hold my breath on it happening anytime soon.

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Better-User-Management/idi-p/10402?advanced=false&col...

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Property-level-user-permissions-different-access-to-f...

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/User-Permissions-for-Contact-Properties/idc-p/267792#...

0 Upvotes