Adding tags to contacts

SOLVE
janneojs

In our previous CRM we used tags, which we added to contacts (eg. joined certain webinar etc). In HubSpot we converted those tags into a new property which is  Checkboxes (Select multiple options).

It worked well until we started to bulk add new categories to contacts. Doing this removes the previous tags.

Is there an alternative to keep adding tags to contacts, without removing the previous ones?

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
karstenkoehler
Solution
Most Valuable Member

Hi @janneojs,

Could you share which information you're updating? I'm asking because there are different ways to approach this.

For example, workflow allow to set a property value and append instead of replace it. This can be used to copy and append information from a form field property to a "backend" property.

There are also ways to update multiple checkboxes via import: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/import-data-to-checkbox-properties

Last but not least there is also an inofficial HubSpot companion product called HubTags.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
Freelance Digital Marketing Advisor

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
karstenkoehler
Solution
Most Valuable Member

Hi @janneojs,

Could you share which information you're updating? I'm asking because there are different ways to approach this.

For example, workflow allow to set a property value and append instead of replace it. This can be used to copy and append information from a form field property to a "backend" property.

There are also ways to update multiple checkboxes via import: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/import-data-to-checkbox-properties

Last but not least there is also an inofficial HubSpot companion product called HubTags.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
Freelance Digital Marketing Advisor

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

GuyTaylor
Guide

Hi @janneojs, a good question.

@karstenkoehler suggestions seem spot on to me. I will just add a few thoughts and also ask how exactly did you 'bulk add new categories'? Depending on this answer there might be a super quick solution that doesn't require any extra products or know-how.

I work on a product called HubTags. This gives you a multiple-select checkbox property. You can bulk add new tags to this proprety without removing any of the existing tags. The tags that you bulk upload can be applied to the desired contacts at the same time. Here is a image our import feature:

Import directions.png

Guy Taylor | linkedhub.io

MortenU

Hi Guy

Your tag product is interesting 🙂

Wonder if it might solve an issue I have when creating and organising contacts/companies.

I am working with multiple categories/tags and would like to have sub tags that only appears if a certain main tag is applied to a specific contact.
Ex. Contact is tagged with "Sports" and this will aneable a predefined list of sub tags "Football" " Handball" "Gymnastics" etc. Secondary sub tag would also be a need, so that "Gymanstics" would open another sub tag list with "Bar" "Trampolin" etc.

Would this be possible with HubTags?

GuyTaylor
Guide

Hi @MortenU, sounds like a interesting idea. 

I don't have a sub tag feature at the moment, but I'am open to learning more and possibly building such a feature. Here is how your filter would look in HubTags at this time (no subtag feature):

Sports.png

With a sub tag feature I would click 'gymnastics' to access a new list of tags where I can add things like bar or trampoline. Is this roughly the idea? The advantage to sub tags is things are more organized, is that right? Would you share with me the all the different ways this is helpful plz. 

0 Upvotes