CRM

CMcRae-Thompson
Participant

10 vs 11 digit Company ID Data Integrity Issue

My company is running into an issue with the length of the generated company ID. Until recently, all of our company IDs were 10 digits long which meets the maximum length for our insurance cloud management system. Now some of our company IDs in HubSpot are 11 digits long which present a data integrity issue since the lookup code in the insurance system will be missing the last digit. 

We obviously do not have the need for 10 billion company IDs and need to swtich them back to 10 digits. I am wondering what prompted this increase in length, can someone explain to me what is going on or how to resolve?

Thanks in advance!

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
EWood
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@CMcRae-Thompson, happy Friday!

Thanks for reaching out to HubSpot Community! Glad to look into this for you.

Since Record IDs are unique numbers, it's my understanding the increase is subject to amount of all records numbers system-wide. There wouldn't be a way go back to a 10 digit number.

However, there may be some type of workaround that can be created. How are you syncing your company IDs to your other system? Does your management system have a limit to the amount of numbers that can be surfaced or can you describe more how the number lookup is being restricted to a 10 digit number? Could you create a custom property for you company reference numbers and then use this number alternatively?

Thanks for providing these other details! 

All the best,

Elyse

CMcRae-Thompson
Participant

Hi Elyse, thank you for your response. Below are answers to the question that you posed.

Q: How are you syncing your company IDs to your other system? 

A: As a team we ultimately landed on the HubSpot company ID (that was originally assumed to be a 10 digit number) would be the “source of truth” for all firms or related LLC’s that get entered into Applied Epic.

Q: Does your management system have a limit to the amount of numbers that can be surfaced or can you describe more how the number lookup is being restricted to a 10-digit number? 

A: Applied Epic uses their own proprietary method to assign a 10-digit look up code that is first alphabetically tied to the name of the company for the first 6 digits, then there is a – then a three digit number; ALPSINU-001. If we stuck with the Epic philosophy we would have had greater than 999 (potentially) firms that begin with “Law Office Of” so we chose to use the assumed HS code

Q: Could you create a custom property for your company reference numbers and then use this number alternatively?

A: We either need to use another version of a 10-digit (always) code for source of truth… or if possible we match the HS code and the Applied Epic code to equal only the first 10 digits of the HS account id.  Right now firms in HS with 11+ numbers are in Epic with the first 10 that match. If this is possible, it is the most likely method forward, or we chose a different source of truth.

Thanks for sorting this issue out with me! 
Courtney

0 Upvotes