CMS Development

NYIF

Message being clipped in Gmail

I'm currently having an issue where my email messages are being clipped in Gmail. I'm new to HubSpot as our team has just transferred over from SilverPop. These emails are rebuilds of our SilverPop emails, and SilverPop actually doesn't clip the emails in Gmail, even though it's the same amount of content. So they I've called Hubspot support and they told me I should cut content, but that is something that we cannot do (and shouldn't have to do, since SilverPop never clipped the same emails). I've went through Hubspot Academy and done everything they've suggested (not copying items from a word processor, optimizing images, etc.) and nothing seemed to work.

If anyone could assist me on this, it would be greatly appreciated. I've used the HubSpot template builder for these emails, so I thought that it would at least notifiy me when too much content was in the email.

Here are links to the two emails I'm referring to; however, I assume it will happen with our future emails as well that have similar content.

Email 1

Email 2

7 Replies 7
John
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

Gmail clips emails at 102kb. One of your emails was definitely larger.

1. Hubspot's design manager may be adding extra markup that SilverPop didn't have. (the code may be dirtier)
  2. Are you using custom modules? I inspected your code and there was a lot of css in style tags added in some custom modules, which appeared to be raw html modules.

I like kudos almost as much as cake – a close second.

NYIF

Yes I'm using custom modules for the calendar (as that calendar was successful for us in our SilverPop campaigns, so I didn't want to ditch it). If you have suggestions on how I can recreate it or perhaps how to clean up the code, I'd love your input!

0 Upvotes
John

I agree with what @AngelaHicks said as far as reformatting.

To add my two cents I would say at the end of the day, you know your customers the best and you know what they need. If they need that calendar to be there, maybe sacrifice something else in the email?

As a last resort, you can pay a hubspot partner or designer to hard code a custom email template for you and integrate it with Hubl. I've done that for companies before and the price should be reasonable.

-John

I like kudos almost as much as cake – a close second.

AngelaHicks
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

It looks like most of the inline styling is creating responsiveness for the calendar items, to ensure that they are single column on mobile. If it were me, I would create a test template using the Template Builder since HubSpot handles the responsiveness for emails to display well on mobile. I'd paste in content and send myself a test preview.

Ultimately the goal would be to build a working template as quickly as possible to see if it solves the clipping issue. Otherwise, I would want to re-structure the content --who is this email sent to? Do they need to see all of the dates in the email or can I get them to a website page with all of the needed information? How often is this email sent and updated? Could I send shorter emails bi-monthly to only promote upcoming events?

Best,

Angela | HubSpot Academy

Best,
Angela | HubSpot Academy
AngelaHicks
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @NYIF

When it comes to Gmail clipping messages, @John is absolutely correct about the sizing. I was wondering how you came about building these email templates. When looking at the code, I am seeing a glut of info, like John. Did you copy HTML email templates from Silverpop? If so, that could be the reasoning behind extra, unnecessary code that's increasing your file size. Your image sizes look okay, so those shouldn't be impacting the clipping all that much.

Best,
Angela | HubSpot Academy
PriscillaB
Participant

@AngelaHicks We have the same problem. Our template is being clipped in the Gmail client both on desktop and mobile, and in several browsers. Our designer already tried to compress the HTML, downsize and optimize the images, clean the HTML and all other suggestions we received from the Hubspot support team. It's still not working... Could you take a look?

Preview email

NYIF

I did copy the calendar HTML + CSS from SilverPop, but I'm still perplexed as to how that would cause such an issue sending from HubSpot vs. SilverPop. If that exact code didn't make my SilverPop emails too bulky, then how would it make my HubSpot ones clip?

If there is no way for me to keep the calendar module as I have it now; then would my last resort be trying to recreate it using the default HubSpot modules? That's a route that I don't really want to take though, as that calendar module has been successfully in our previous email campaigns on SilverPop.

0 Upvotes