CMS for Marketers

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

What makes a compelling blog post?

Blog posts enable you and your business to publish insights, thoughts, and stories on your website about any topic. They can help you boost brand awareness, credibility, conversions, and revenue. Most importantly, they can help you drive traffic to your website.

But take a moment and think about the last blog post you read. What made you want to read it? How did you feel after you finished? Did you make it to the end? What makes a blog post compelling and engaging?

Bonus points: Got a blog or blog post you keep returning to? Share it for the group in the comments below!

*To learn more about this, check out the Understanding Blogging in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

741 Replies 741
JSchneiderOH
Participant

Content that is relevant to a specific stage in the buyer journey. Blog posts should be updated on a quarterly basis and incldue images, video etc. to engage the reader.

0 Upvotes
PLuquePlaschk

That the content is good and understandable and that it follows a purpose

0 Upvotes
simonang2022

Good content

ASmith27

The last blog post I read was a financial post discussing the drop in the U.S. economy. I felt that I gained more knowledge after reading. Yes, I finished the document. A great hook at the beginning of the blog post immediately engages readers.

0 Upvotes
BGreene9
Participant

When think back to the last blog post I read to completion, it was short, to the point, loaded quickly, did not have many pop-ups/ads, and included a list at the top for me to jump to other sections.

When I prepare blogs, I always think about if the reader will benefit enough that they'll save or share on their social media pages. And if not, what from the noise (too much text, pop-ups, etc) can I reduce to increase the readership of the blog.

0 Upvotes
JBarajas0

I believe that a compelling blog post is one with a strong title or topic that will attract the reader in. Without that I think the reader will just skip through it and think that it is not worth their time. 

Austinreinders
Participant

Writing a good blog post is a collection of efforts to me. I would see what blogs are out there on the topic I am going to write about and try to stand out. I would then search for what are popular header topic with key words. Seperate the content into 3-5 sections naming the title one of the most popular search key words. Then make it fun to read with facts and content that is helpful.

destinymayo

A call to action, as well as clear, factual information. Help your customers understand what problem you can help them solve.

TBlunt

Factual information relevant to what is being talked about in the blog. Encourages people to read their entire blog. 

0 Upvotes
MPopova-Lvova

In order to create the succesful post you have to follow some points such as clear post header that is catching the attention of the user, the information has to be relevant and not too long. Depending on the context you may adjust the way you present information. 

0 Upvotes
smithcandicerae
Contributor

The last blog post I read drew me in with a promise of learning a new skill but I found the post to be too long, formatted in a way that was very hard to follow, and ultimately the learning opportunity was buried in a second blog post that then you had to provide an email for. 

Great blog posts should be short, concise, never bury the promised content, have a clear CTA, and be clear and easy to read/follow.

safiarag
Participant

writing topics that can attract customers is a good strategy, however, we should take into consideration that blogs could work in some regions where customers read blogs and it would not work for some customers. here I think we should take in consideration customers culture in order to see if blogs can be a good tool or not 

0 Upvotes
MBritain123
Participant

One opportunity that blogs allow is to further your brand narrative by providing useful content that helps your customers in solving whatever problem it is they have, for which they came to you for a technical/product solution. Writing topics relevant to your customers painpoints is a great way to get them to come back and use you as one of their primary sources for helping them be successful.

DVassell
Participant

There are a few factors that contribute to a compelling blog post. It starts with formulating an idean with a clear subject / POV. NExt is to develop a captivating headline.  The infamous "Clickbait" headlines are very effective. It is also imoortant to use specifc key words that help with SEO. Lately within that blog post, there must be a good conclusion or solution to a problem. People are more likely to revisist or subscribe to your content if you add value. 

whitneyobrien
Participant

Offering valuable insight to readers that benefits them in whatever journey they're on that relates to the post.

0 Upvotes
EmskiOnHubSpot
Participant

Tells a story, is relevant to the audience you want to attract, has good evidence and sounds like a conversation (not academic - unless that's what youre going for).

0 Upvotes
AhsanMalik

I beleive a useful content that is informative for the reader

0 Upvotes
alejomarketing

Un artículo de blog convincente tiene varias características importantes, como:

1. Título atractivo y llamativo que capte la atención del lector.
  2. Introducción clara y concisa que establezca el tema y genere interés.
  3. Contenido informativo y valioso que satisfaga las necesidades o intereses del lector.
  4. Estructura clara y fácil de seguir, con subtítulos y párrafos cortos.
  5. Uso de ejemplos, estadísticas y otros recursos visuales para respaldar y enriquecer el contenido.
  6. Lenguaje claro y sencillo que sea fácil de entender.
  7. Una conclusión que resuma el artículo y ofrezca una llamada a la acción o una reflexión final.
  8. Estilo de escritura atractivo y personal que se adapte a la marca o el tono del autor.
Jeannairene68
Contributor

For me, a good blog post should be unique. Last week I was doing some research and found several blogs that were nearly identical. Others were very dry. Just the facts ma'am. And that's okay sometimes, but I don't want to read them. Instead, I want to narrow down on just the facts I am looking for or a quote I can use. And it's not that I don't want to read. I actually do that a lot, but I really do not want to read the same information, with the same view, and often the same examples. 

0 Upvotes
SJordan56
Participant

I think a good blog post is determined by whether it tells a story, is informative to readers, and whether it offers value. Sometimes, the value can be in the information in the post, and sometimes the narrative is what's of value. One recent article I wrote for my company's blog discusses how to help indoor farms survive hurricanes with two case studies in Puerto Rico. I think this article offers value (information) but also offers a narrative (the story of these companies surviving hurricanes).

EWilson38

If it's timely, on subject, and tells a compelling story.