Content Hub for Marketers

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

What makes a compelling blog post?

Blog posts enable you and your business to publish insights, thoughts, and stories on your website about any topic. They can help you boost brand awareness, credibility, conversions, and revenue. Most importantly, they can help you drive traffic to your website.

But take a moment and think about the last blog post you read. What made you want to read it? How did you feel after you finished? Did you make it to the end? What makes a blog post compelling and engaging?

Bonus points: Got a blog or blog post you keep returning to? Share it for the group in the comments below!

*To learn more about this, check out the Understanding Blogging in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

741 Replies 741
cdegobbi13

Pretty much anything but writing about your products. A blog is not the time or place to promote your products. Write about a key trend in your industry, an unusual or special experience at work or w/ a client, etc. There are so many ideas! 

JHacker
Participant | Diamond Partner
Participant | Diamond Partner

For blog posts, it's all about capturing your audience's attention within the first paragraph. Whether it be somethign factual or something more on the creative side, engagement is important to get your blog post attention. For me personally, I like non-bias reviews and I can tell by the first paragraph if the product is either being reviewed fairly or if I can already tell it's been judged biased. Take that into consideration when creating your own blog posts and see the difference!

kelvinoyibo
Participant

The blogpost title, keywords, seo and the thumbnails

0 Upvotes
MLittles

A compelling post is an informative, educational, and entertaining post to your audience.

KJones0
Contributor

A compelling blog post provides answers to the questions your potential clients are searching for, and the information must be updated and accurate. It humanizes the company while providing helpful information and drives them to act on the call-to-action provided at the top and bottom of the post. 

JCBenares
Participant

The last blog i got to read thoroughly was https://www.orbitmedia.com/blog/social-media-rule-of-thirds/. It is about "the rule of thrids in social media marketing". I wanted to read it to figure out how algorithms work on social media and also wanted to learn "basic" calendar planning. This blog gave me an idea or a "pattern" to use as to content marketing for a test brand that i launched. The quotes inside or testimonies sound very professional and experience adding value to the information I was trying to look for;

~" If you’re using social media as a dumping ground for links, you’re doing it wrong. There’s more to social media than promoting your content.

You’re missing out on the more social side of social media, like building your network and making friends. And your accounts won’t be much fun to follow."~

Digibooster
Participant

A compelling blog post doesn't only inform about a subject but provides latest trends and tips to kick-off your strategies or tactics in the relevant field, helps you find the best products, services or people to help you achieve your goals in that field.

Wojciech_Mizio

A compelling blog post contains factual information relevant to the topic that encourages you to read the entire post, share it and comment on it.

0 Upvotes
Jabberjan

A compelling blog post provides relevant information and educates the reader.

0 Upvotes
GDunn3

The best part of a compelling blog post is that it captures the attention of the person who is scrolling. It engages them, and the feel compelled to lie it, share it or comment on it. 

0 Upvotes
TomasFochNalle

A compelling blog post is able to bring fresh and relevant information about the subject, alongside with images and other media that keep the reader into consuming the flow of information.

CHadley

Including existing marketing trends and creating a relatively short read will make for a compelling blog post.

0 Upvotes
ApoZadeh

Last Blog post i read was about Cyber security industry and marketing trends that exist in it. 

I personally loved the blog, as it was short (compared to the new 50k word count on blogs), i never read any blog that has a very small scroll bar. i also had a blog post that ive been reading over a week now (written by Hubspot here ,  when blogs get long and big i personally prefer to look at them as a crash course, or research article of some sort. 

StephenR
Participant

Offering content that is relevant to the reader. 

CDhadhal

GOOD CONTENT

LSchreiber
Member | Platinum Partner
Member | Platinum Partner

Anything that gives new information or provides answers to searches. 

MarcusY

One of the most important thing is a hook. Blogs are long form content, people need to find a good reason to continue reading beyond the headline, which often is click bait these days.

Another important thing is use of images, people like visuals, especially after seeing walls of text. And these images should be on brand. You should be able to see all the images used in a blog and get a feel of the brand, rather than it looking like the images coming from multiple sources.

Lastly, it's about how well the blogs are broken up. When there is a huge wall of text, people will be overwhelmed and not continue reading. Each paragraph should only be a few sentences.

SGamit

Writing related topics to your business and finding the gap in the information which contact's need to know will help your contacts to find relavent information and increase traffic to your website 

TanuSobti

Hi Jorie, 

The content of a blog should be relatable and easy to understand to its readers. It is about providing useful information whether to educate, inform or inspire in a simple tone.

SShahidi

A compelling blog post is factual yet entertaining at the same time. It has negligible usage of jargon and has language that is easy to understand. It should start with a hook and end with a CTA.

KHornung1
Participant

Relevant Content

Catching title

Quick read - 4 min or less

Quality graphic

0 Upvotes