CMS for Marketers

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

What makes a compelling blog post?

Blog posts enable you and your business to publish insights, thoughts, and stories on your website about any topic. They can help you boost brand awareness, credibility, conversions, and revenue. Most importantly, they can help you drive traffic to your website.

But take a moment and think about the last blog post you read. What made you want to read it? How did you feel after you finished? Did you make it to the end? What makes a blog post compelling and engaging?

Bonus points: Got a blog or blog post you keep returning to? Share it for the group in the comments below!

*To learn more about this, check out the Understanding Blogging in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

735 Replies 735
Digibooster
Participant

A compelling blog post doesn't only inform about a subject but provides latest trends and tips to kick-off your strategies or tactics in the relevant field, helps you find the best products, services or people to help you achieve your goals in that field.

Wojciech_Mizio

A compelling blog post contains factual information relevant to the topic that encourages you to read the entire post, share it and comment on it.

0 Upvotes
Jabberjan

A compelling blog post provides relevant information and educates the reader.

0 Upvotes
GDunn3

The best part of a compelling blog post is that it captures the attention of the person who is scrolling. It engages them, and the feel compelled to lie it, share it or comment on it. 

0 Upvotes
TomasFochNalle

A compelling blog post is able to bring fresh and relevant information about the subject, alongside with images and other media that keep the reader into consuming the flow of information.

CHadley

Including existing marketing trends and creating a relatively short read will make for a compelling blog post.

0 Upvotes
ApoZadeh

Last Blog post i read was about Cyber security industry and marketing trends that exist in it. 

I personally loved the blog, as it was short (compared to the new 50k word count on blogs), i never read any blog that has a very small scroll bar. i also had a blog post that ive been reading over a week now (written by Hubspot here ,  when blogs get long and big i personally prefer to look at them as a crash course, or research article of some sort. 

StephenR
Participant

Offering content that is relevant to the reader. 

CDhadhal

GOOD CONTENT

LSchreiber
Member | Platinum Partner
Member | Platinum Partner

Anything that gives new information or provides answers to searches. 

MarcusY

One of the most important thing is a hook. Blogs are long form content, people need to find a good reason to continue reading beyond the headline, which often is click bait these days.

Another important thing is use of images, people like visuals, especially after seeing walls of text. And these images should be on brand. You should be able to see all the images used in a blog and get a feel of the brand, rather than it looking like the images coming from multiple sources.

Lastly, it's about how well the blogs are broken up. When there is a huge wall of text, people will be overwhelmed and not continue reading. Each paragraph should only be a few sentences.

SGamit

Writing related topics to your business and finding the gap in the information which contact's need to know will help your contacts to find relavent information and increase traffic to your website 

TanuSobti

Hi Jorie, 

The content of a blog should be relatable and easy to understand to its readers. It is about providing useful information whether to educate, inform or inspire in a simple tone.

SShahidi

A compelling blog post is factual yet entertaining at the same time. It has negligible usage of jargon and has language that is easy to understand. It should start with a hook and end with a CTA.

KHornung1
Participant

Relevant Content

Catching title

Quick read - 4 min or less

Quality graphic

0 Upvotes
PKumar842

1- Title- The title of the pst should be matching with the pain point you are talking about. 

2- Size- It should not a vey long article. People do now want to read a very long story.

3- Some images and call for action to make it interesting and engaging.

TGoon74

Compelling blog posts should have a title and information relevant to the post's reader. I enjoy fashion and music, so when I read a blog post with a title and catchy information, I will read it. The use of language also makes it engaging and should not be boring and run and on. It should cater to the audience the blogger is trying to engage. I like blog posts that are fun, quirky and provide helpful information.

0 Upvotes
EInnes

The last blog post I read and finished had a catchy title (of a topic I was interested in), Outlined early what would be covered, and was well organized, so I knew the path to the conclusion. By using this format, I was drawn in, hooked and invested early on, which drove me to want to spend the time to finish the blog post.

0 Upvotes
MSerdan

A compelling blog post doesnt have an overload of information. It also has a short hook thats draws the reader in and gets them interested. A big aspect is making sure you do not overwhekm the reader, so share important details that the reader will understand and relate to. 

0 Upvotes
cqburris
Participant | Elite Partner
Participant | Elite Partner

First and foremost, a compelling blog post will answer any and all questions around the topic and provide immense value to the end user.  What made me read the last blog article was a compelling title and, upon quickly glancing at it, it was clear it contained information about all relevant pieces I was interested in.  

0 Upvotes
RSciberras
Participant

H1 structure is really important. However having really good information within the blog that is helpful for your target audience is what makes a blog post compelling and successful.

0 Upvotes