CMS for Marketers

Jnix284
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

New to CMS Hub? what's your biggest challenge?

As someone who "grew up" with the HubSpot CMS (I launched my first website in 2016 using the COS and many more since) it is hard to see CMS Hub with fresh eyes, as what it is today, without thinking about all the challenges I've faced to get here.

I'm curious what your biggest challenge is with CMS Hub and how have you worked to overcome it?

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

14 Replies 14
CJones189
Participant

Hi Jnix, 

I'm currently trying to move a website from a business unit on an enterprise account to their very own brand new portal and can't find any information on how to do so!? I was assured that this was relatively easy to do by the Hubspot account manager but cant find any information on how to do so!? Any advice would be incredible!

I've chased the account manager but 

Jnix284

Hi @CJones189 

I'm happy to help with your question about transferring a website from one portal to another.

If the account manager said it was easy, I would push for them to provide you with further guidance - in my experience, it is a very manual process.

For example - if you have a purchased theme from the marketplace, you'll need a Product Engineer from HubSpot to transfer the purchase, but you'll still have to manually transfer any child theme/coded assets and rebuild website pages.

There is no way that I've found to transfer content between portals without rebuilding it (outside of blog import/export).

If you have a custom coded theme, a developer can use the CLI to transfer all of the coded files, but again, website page content can't be transferred.

I've worked with users who had to get a new HubSpot account to change the server for GDPR reasons, and even in those cases HubSpot didn't transfer the website pages and they had to be rebuilt.

If your account manager has a way, please let me know what it is!

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

RReiffer
Contributor

My single biggest issue is the ability to support multiple domains WITHOUT upgrading to CMS Hub Enterprise.  We are a small company that just merged in the last year and I would like the ability to have their domain in our instance.   I think it would be nice if Professional allowed 2 or maybe even 3 domains as part of the package.

Jnix284

@RReiffer There are definitely a few CMS Hub Enterprise features that are needed at the Pro level by many HubSpot customers - multiple domains, memberships, and custom objects - and it would be nice if they were available as an add-on to Pro.

The leap from Pro to Enterprise is huge, and largely unnecessary for most companies, while it might complicate the pricing structure, having more flexibility to leverage the CMS tools across tiers via add-ons would make the CMS more appealing and easier to use/manage.

Have you reached out to your HubSpot Sales rep to see what your options are (outside of upgraging to enterprise)? I don't know if there are any, but they would know best! 😉

0 Upvotes
RReiffer
Contributor

I have reached out to sales to see what they can do about it.  It is kind of frustrating that for a smaller company like ours (8 reps) that we need the Enterprise pricing for just a couple of features.  

All of our websites are Wordpress so changing over is not an option now.

0 Upvotes
RReiffer
Contributor

I have reached out to sales but have not heard back yet.
Jeannairene68
Contributor

I haven't really had a chance to work much with the CMS Hub yet, but I'm pretty stuck on my current CMS platform. I think my biggest challenge will be setting aside judgment so I can dig in with an open mind.

0 Upvotes
Jnix284

Hi @Jeannairene68  what CMS are you currently using? and are you in the process of migrating?

Sometimes removing our biases is definitely the hardest part 😉

Dani_Groebel
Contributor

Hi Jennifer,

my biggest struggle was to give the website a good structure and together with our IT colleague I came to the clue that we will use the blog tool for different occations like for our features, for our news and for our customer interviews ... This helped me a lot to deal with the content more easily and to give it a better overview. There is still a lot of work to do but I feel we are on the right track.

Best,

Dani

Jnix284

Hi @Dani_Groebel thank you for sharing, using the blog for alternate uses is a great way to leverage the built-in capabilities that come with listing pages, tags, featured images, etc. to create collections of information!

There will certainly be challenges along the way, but I'm glad to hear you're on the right track and wish you all the best in the next phase of the journey!

CRoderigue
Contributor

What is the best theme to get started with a website? I am looking for something that is simple, and can deliver content that's straight to the point. No fluff. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

Jnix284

Hi @CRoderigue happy to help find a theme for your website project.

If you're looking for a free theme, I wrote this article in the community about how to find the right theme and what to look for.

If you're considering paid themes, I recommend checking out POWER theme (I work for the agency who developed it) because it is a very comprehensive, flexible theme that will have the features you need to build a simple to the point website.

Happy to help answer questions about capabilities of CMS Hub and choosing a theme (no pressure, just here to help).

0 Upvotes
DavidJKenton
Participant

I love HubSpot it has been fantastic at giving me as a Marketeer tones of features and options to build and control more elements of my website, content and the overall user experience. However, in having this control I have found as a none developer drawing a line between what I can and should create and what I should seek developer intervention has been tricky!

Although its refreshing to not have to rely on developers to create your website, which I haven't for the most part, only to build the elements that are specific to your companies and/or customers needs, where a one size does not fit all. What I have found is although you can pick up HubSpot and start building a website it is easy to get lost in creativity! Taking the time to understand HubSpot alongside what you looking to create, your user journey, any booking/sales pipelines and your internal processes to ensure you can understand whats within your remit and where a developer is needed.

Thanks,

David

Jnix284

Hi @DavidJKenton  thanks for sharing your feedback about your experience building your website with CMS Hub, I can completely understand the feeling of getting carried away with creativity!

0 Upvotes