CMS Development

shirenmathai
Participant

using hubl to update row in hubdb table

SOLVE

Is there a way to update a row in hubdb via a module. 

The goal is to limit the non-technical user from interacting with hubdb directly.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
miljkovicmisa
Solution
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hello @shirenmathai,

This is a no, you cannot manipulate a hubdb table in that way. Hubl for hubdb is used only for reading.
The only two ways to update/add/delete hubdb tables are either by directly changing it or use the API.

If it matters to you, the hubdb interface is ment to be used by non-technical users (content editors), personally I do find it easy to grasp and work with and didn't have any experience of content editors having any difficulties (not anyone I explained it to at least).
If you think about it anyone who has opened a spreadsheet should be familiar with hubdb interface and identify right away how it roughly works.

Hope my answer got you covered, would love to hear if you got any other thoughts about this!
Cheers!

If my answer was helpful, please mark it as a solution.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
miljkovicmisa
Solution

SOLVE

Hello @shirenmathai,

This is a no, you cannot manipulate a hubdb table in that way. Hubl for hubdb is used only for reading.
The only two ways to update/add/delete hubdb tables are either by directly changing it or use the API.

If it matters to you, the hubdb interface is ment to be used by non-technical users (content editors), personally I do find it easy to grasp and work with and didn't have any experience of content editors having any difficulties (not anyone I explained it to at least).
If you think about it anyone who has opened a spreadsheet should be familiar with hubdb interface and identify right away how it roughly works.

Hope my answer got you covered, would love to hear if you got any other thoughts about this!
Cheers!

If my answer was helpful, please mark it as a solution.

shirenmathai
Participant

SOLVE

thanks that i the clarification that I was looking for.  I will wait another day is anyone else found a different way to do this.

Anton
Recognized Expert

SOLVE

Hi @shirenmathai

technically you could manipulate a HubDB via a custom module - but since this isn't recommended at all, a complete overkill solution and can get out of hand very easy and quickly - I won't write about it.

HubDB is - like @miljkovicmisa mentioned - designed to be as user-friendly as it can get. Provide only a few marketers with editing/publishing rights and call it a day.  

A possible workaround for you could be a custom module with overrides.

I've written such a module for a customer who wanted to have a overrideable HubDB entries in the past. The differene to your desired need was, that the customer wanted to be able to display either the HubDB entry or something different.

Each HubDB value was wrapped in an if/unless statement which made my life not as easy as it seems

The code looked something like this

{% unless module.enable_phone_override%}{{ hubdb_item }}{% else %}{% module.phone_override %}{% endunless %}

best, 

Anton

Anton Bujanowski Signature