CMS Development

zogics
Participant

moving blog from sub-domain to extension

SOLVE

Our current blog blog.zogics.com is a HubSpot hosted blog. Our e-commerce site https://zogics.com/ is a BigCommerce site. We are in the process of a site redesign and are considering moving the blog (for seo purposes) to https://zogics.com/blog. This is a two part question:

1) can we move the current Hubpot blog from a subdomain to a file extension? what are the steps involved

2) any thoughts on the seo benefits of moving from sub.domain to extension, will we lose any seo value if we move?

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
edjusten
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @zogics  As it turns out, Hubspot content can only live on subdomains. It's not possible to connect your blog to the top-level (or apex) domain ie: mysite.com/blog

You can designate a blog to live at the root of a subdomain ie: blog.mysite.com   or the content can live in a sub-directory of a subdomain ie: blog.mysite.com/blog  

As far as SEO value, you can find plenty of resources that discuss the differences between subdomain and subdirecty publishing, but I've found the differences to be minimal at best. Better to concentrate on quality of content and building an array of back links, than spending time on the blog's location. Former HubSpotter Matt Barby has some great SEO tips here.

Tagging HubSpot Partner @Phil_Vallender . Any other advice? 

Thank you,

Ed Justen

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @zogics

Just commenting since @edjusten asked me to.  He is, of course, correct:

• HubSpot's web content tools (webpages, landing pages and blogs) can only exist at subdomains. www is a subdomain, the one intended for website use. HubSpot can't host anything at the apex domain, without the www.
  • If your website is hosted on another platform, HubSpot content cannot exist at a subfolder of it, since the subdomain is under the control of the other system

However, I also agree with @benvanlooy, that how you have it now is not at all bad. The supposed gains of having your blog content on the very same domain as your website are only thought to be slight and are, I believe, far outweighed by good internal SEO on your blog and by blogging on the best tool for the job.

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
12 Replies 12
edjusten
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @zogics  As it turns out, Hubspot content can only live on subdomains. It's not possible to connect your blog to the top-level (or apex) domain ie: mysite.com/blog

You can designate a blog to live at the root of a subdomain ie: blog.mysite.com   or the content can live in a sub-directory of a subdomain ie: blog.mysite.com/blog  

As far as SEO value, you can find plenty of resources that discuss the differences between subdomain and subdirecty publishing, but I've found the differences to be minimal at best. Better to concentrate on quality of content and building an array of back links, than spending time on the blog's location. Former HubSpotter Matt Barby has some great SEO tips here.

Tagging HubSpot Partner @Phil_Vallender . Any other advice? 

Thank you,

Ed Justen

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
Hannah1
Contributor

SOLVE

Is this still accurate? Thank you! 

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @Hannah1,

For all of the options currently available for connecting inboxes, I wanted to share this resource.

Thank you,

Jenny

0 Upvotes
Hannah1
Contributor

SOLVE

Thank you Jenny! We already host our sub domain on HubSpot, and we are looking for a simple way to change it to a sub-directory.

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @zogics

Just commenting since @edjusten asked me to.  He is, of course, correct:

• HubSpot's web content tools (webpages, landing pages and blogs) can only exist at subdomains. www is a subdomain, the one intended for website use. HubSpot can't host anything at the apex domain, without the www.
  • If your website is hosted on another platform, HubSpot content cannot exist at a subfolder of it, since the subdomain is under the control of the other system

However, I also agree with @benvanlooy, that how you have it now is not at all bad. The supposed gains of having your blog content on the very same domain as your website are only thought to be slight and are, I believe, far outweighed by good internal SEO on your blog and by blogging on the best tool for the job.

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
0 Upvotes
dhejl
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @Phil_Vallender

I know it's been a few years since this was addressed, but was wondering if you know whether what you've shared here still holds true today?

Cheers!

0 Upvotes
zogics
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks @Phil_Vallender - we were exploring options back in the Spring when originally posted and have decided to keep our blog on the subdomain.

0 Upvotes
Hannah1
Contributor

SOLVE

Thank you @zogics  and @Phil_Vallender for the insight! An SEO company recommended we move our blog to visiolending.com instead of blog.visiolending.com.

I am exploring our options and the pros and cons of each. But it appears to not be feasible or intuitive, so it might make sense to keep the subdomain. 

0 Upvotes
zogics
Participant

SOLVE

@Hannah1 while I believe there are SEO benefits to moving a blog to the root domain, those benefits may not outweigh the cost and time needed to make the move. That is currently where we sit. If you were to move the blog to the root domain - as commented in this thread - it would be outside of and not involve HubSpot CMS. 

0 Upvotes
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOLVE

There is a TON of value in moving away from a subdomain approach for the blog - google has continually shown it views subdomains differently.

Having all your content live on the primary domain will likely increase your domain authority and overall web prescense with google seeing more relevant content at your domain.

Asssuming the subdomain is setup within hubspot, a change shouldn't be too costly or time consuming as you can setup a catch-all forward to send any traffic from the old blog address over.

Hannah1
Contributor

SOLVE

@zogics I am starting to agree! Too much of a pain! 

0 Upvotes
benvanlooy
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Edjusten is right.

The only way you could possible make this work (and this is of course is not an option I know I know) is by settings up your root domain www.zogics.com as domain for your blogs in your account. Then naming the blog in your hubspot account blog www.zogics.com/blog

Otherwise this is not possible.. and yes you have to use a subdomain, like you have now. I don't think there is anything wrong with the way you have it set-up now actually 😉

0 Upvotes