CMS Development

bmattrisch

Would a regular developer that is mostly familiar with WordPress be able to develop on HubSpot?

Good afternoon,

I have a couple of questions regarding using the Hubspot COS. Would a regular developer that is mostly familiar with WordPress be able to develop an entire HubSpot website from scratch? I was also reading that you can customize your designs but there are some restrictions. Would it be beneficial for art directors to become familiar with the COS system before they start to design for a website developed in HubSpot?

Thank you!

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
ndwilliams3
Key Advisor

Would a regular developer that is mostly familiar with WordPress be able to develop on HubSpot?

I've developed in both Wordpress and Drupal and foundThe HubSpot COS easy to work with ias well. There is definitely a learning curve with HUBL and figuring out a good methodology to module usage and creating custom components. Anyone with and understanding of programming can get the hang of it pretty quickly. Took me a few weeks to get proficient. I still have to look at the docs from time to time.

As far as design goes, it's pretty flexible. If your art director is familiar designing for a grid based layout they'll be ok. Anything design developed for a Wordpress site could implemented in the COS.
Ty
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Just going to second what @ndwilliams3,

Being a previous customer, I was developing in Drupal, Wordpress and a couple other company specific COS/CMS. The thing with HubSpot's COS is that if you don't have a ton of programming knowledge, you can still build a fairly competent site using just basic modules (I've done it this way twice, before I actually understood how to use HubL.)

The COS' main skeleton is built off of Twitter Bootstrap, which is pretty common in both web design and graphic design. It's a 12 column grid based system, that has it's only repositories of stylesheets that control the responsive variations in the layout. That being said, HubSpot's COS is a 12 column drag-and-drop layout, that relies on Bootstrap's boilerplates to keep your site responsive. 

bmattrisch

Thank you guys for the great responses! Just one more question. As far as the design and development goes how customizable is the COS on a scale of 1-10 1 being not very customizable and 10 being highly. I am just trying to get all my questions answered.

Thank you again!

0 Upvotes
ndwilliams3
Key Advisor

I would say it's a 8 or 9. There were a few advanced things that I have attempted, that I couldn't really pull off in a simplified manner. For example, creating more complex reusable code snippets with custom modules can be a little tricky. However, with the addition of HubDB, some of that may be possible. I haven't had the chance do dig into HubDB yet!

Overall it offers a highly flexible interface for building templates for both coders and non-coders.

Here's a good article to take a look at...https://blog.webcanopystudio.com/hubl-is-the-new-black-why-hubspot-cos-is-better-than-wordpress