CMS Development

ErinKas
Stratege/Strategin

Where should I learn? Online HTML CSS Courses?

lösung

Hello Community. 

I am in the market for a class or two or three that I can take to become more proficient in HTML. Does anyone have anything they could suggest? I would love for it to be relevant to HubSpot if I could. I know some but not nearly enough and I would like to enhance my skill set. Any help is appreciated!  

Thanks!

4 Akzeptierte Lösungen
Stephanie-OG
Lösung
Autorität

lösung

Back in the day I learned HTML/CSS using W3Schools but I think that, while it's great for reference, it's not the best "course" (you're essentially just reading through a guide).

I've always thought Codecademy is pretty great as you learn by doing. However, the issue with this type of learning is that I always find it's out of context. At university I had the same issue, we'd learn all sorts of programming on school-specific environments and I had no idea how to actually make anything in the real world. In the case of HTML/CSS, basically in HubSpot the drag-and-drop is your HTML and your stylesheet/inline code your CSS.

In HubSpot I know a lot of people who are interested in learning development are encouraged to use Treehouse (paid), I did a couple of courses while I was there on it (I remember one on creating WordPress themes) and they seemed pretty good.

I think that most HubSpot documentation assumes HTML/CSS knowledge so, while they'll teach you how to apply it to the CMS, they won't teach you the basics. I did see that they've been pushing the "Discovery Kit" but have yet to check it out.

Stephanie O'Gay GarciaHubSpot Design / Development

Website | Contact

If this helped, please mark it as the solution to your question, thanks!

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

Anton
Lösung
Trendsetter/-in | Diamond Partner

lösung

If you can/want to spend a little bit, you can buy some courses on udemy.com. It's a great plattform for learning. 

Anton Bujanowski Signature

Jsum
Lösung
Autorität

lösung

@ErinKas I have spent several hundred hours on teamtreehouse.com and I would swear by it.

Also, basic web development uses HTML, CSS, and Javascript (jquery). Beyond that you are using a server side language. HubL is a python templating language, like jinja2. Beyond the basics, you just have to get familiar with the HubL and Hubspot template idiosyncracies, and your a Hubspot developer. Teamtreehouse has amazing course for:

HTML

CSS

Javascript

Web Design

Python (flask, django, object oriented programming basics, most of which cover templating to some degree)

There is a 7 day free trial, it's $25/month with anytime pause, and it is worth every penny. I highly recommend it.

Need help? Hire Us Here

jausura
Lösung
Academy-Professor/in
Academy-Professor/in

lösung

My advice as a web developer of many years and an educator: recognize and exploit the various methods and starting points for learning this vast subject. Match them to your needs, abilities, and whims. Pursue the things that interest you. Developers learn through curiosity. 

There are some great online courses mentioned in this thread. I would also recommend this awesome MDN resource. In the left sidebar you can find an extremely well structured navigation of their tutorials. Even if you don't use the tutorials themselves, I would highly recommend using that navigation to familiarize yourself with all of the many topics involved in mastering front end dev and how they relate to one another. 

Learning to code in any language is a combination of acquiring both experience and formal understanding of the language. You will frequently find yourself cobbling together some code to make something work without totally understanding why. That's perfectly normal and fine. What you want to do is then cycle back and figure out why something works the way it does. Maybe not the same afternoon, but eventually.

There are endless examples of this learning process. CSS positioning is a great one. No one understands all of the details of how and why absolute/relative positioning works the first dozen times they use them. The trick is to constantly cycle back to different forms of documentation as you get familiar with using them. Eventually you'll acquire an encyclopedic understanding of the topic and then you can more quickly troubleshoot things and concoct effective strategies for building things.

On a similar note: If you're looking for new outlets for learning, try experimenting with something that seems above and beyond your current skill level. I'd recommend CSS grid or flexbox. As you pull at that thread, you'll find yourself both learning those subjects, and learning commonalities with other subjects. In this way, you begin to build that web or framework of understanding that people refer to as "proficiency" or "mastery" or whatever. The reality though is that we're all just tending to that web inside our brains.

10 Antworten
jsertanejo
Mitglied

lösung

Fiz 2 cursos e posso dizer que com esses cursos aprendi muito sobre o assunto Formula negócio online e o curso net milionário

0 Upvotes
natanaelds
Mitglied

lösung

Eu aprendi algumas coisas sobre esse assunto no Formula Negocio Online. Posso dizer que são informações básicas, então se quiser se aprofundar também recomendo a universidade da Udemy.

0 Upvotes
jausura
Lösung
Academy-Professor/in
Academy-Professor/in

lösung

My advice as a web developer of many years and an educator: recognize and exploit the various methods and starting points for learning this vast subject. Match them to your needs, abilities, and whims. Pursue the things that interest you. Developers learn through curiosity. 

There are some great online courses mentioned in this thread. I would also recommend this awesome MDN resource. In the left sidebar you can find an extremely well structured navigation of their tutorials. Even if you don't use the tutorials themselves, I would highly recommend using that navigation to familiarize yourself with all of the many topics involved in mastering front end dev and how they relate to one another. 

Learning to code in any language is a combination of acquiring both experience and formal understanding of the language. You will frequently find yourself cobbling together some code to make something work without totally understanding why. That's perfectly normal and fine. What you want to do is then cycle back and figure out why something works the way it does. Maybe not the same afternoon, but eventually.

There are endless examples of this learning process. CSS positioning is a great one. No one understands all of the details of how and why absolute/relative positioning works the first dozen times they use them. The trick is to constantly cycle back to different forms of documentation as you get familiar with using them. Eventually you'll acquire an encyclopedic understanding of the topic and then you can more quickly troubleshoot things and concoct effective strategies for building things.

On a similar note: If you're looking for new outlets for learning, try experimenting with something that seems above and beyond your current skill level. I'd recommend CSS grid or flexbox. As you pull at that thread, you'll find yourself both learning those subjects, and learning commonalities with other subjects. In this way, you begin to build that web or framework of understanding that people refer to as "proficiency" or "mastery" or whatever. The reality though is that we're all just tending to that web inside our brains.

dkoscky
Mitglied

lösung

I recommend the Fórmula Negócio Online course for you. Especially if you are a beginner.

Jsum
Lösung
Autorität

lösung

@ErinKas I have spent several hundred hours on teamtreehouse.com and I would swear by it.

Also, basic web development uses HTML, CSS, and Javascript (jquery). Beyond that you are using a server side language. HubL is a python templating language, like jinja2. Beyond the basics, you just have to get familiar with the HubL and Hubspot template idiosyncracies, and your a Hubspot developer. Teamtreehouse has amazing course for:

HTML

CSS

Javascript

Web Design

Python (flask, django, object oriented programming basics, most of which cover templating to some degree)

There is a 7 day free trial, it's $25/month with anytime pause, and it is worth every penny. I highly recommend it.

Need help? Hire Us Here

Stephanie-OG
Lösung
Autorität

lösung

Back in the day I learned HTML/CSS using W3Schools but I think that, while it's great for reference, it's not the best "course" (you're essentially just reading through a guide).

I've always thought Codecademy is pretty great as you learn by doing. However, the issue with this type of learning is that I always find it's out of context. At university I had the same issue, we'd learn all sorts of programming on school-specific environments and I had no idea how to actually make anything in the real world. In the case of HTML/CSS, basically in HubSpot the drag-and-drop is your HTML and your stylesheet/inline code your CSS.

In HubSpot I know a lot of people who are interested in learning development are encouraged to use Treehouse (paid), I did a couple of courses while I was there on it (I remember one on creating WordPress themes) and they seemed pretty good.

I think that most HubSpot documentation assumes HTML/CSS knowledge so, while they'll teach you how to apply it to the CMS, they won't teach you the basics. I did see that they've been pushing the "Discovery Kit" but have yet to check it out.

Stephanie O'Gay GarciaHubSpot Design / Development

Website | Contact

If this helped, please mark it as the solution to your question, thanks!

jsertanejo
Mitglied

lösung

Eu aprendi sobre esse assunto no curso que fiz recentemente o curso Formula Negócio Online 3.0 do Alex Vargas CURSO completo do basico ao profissional se alguem tiver interresse vou deixar o link do curso com desconto aqui basta clicar no link >>>>>> Formula negócio online

Anton
Lösung

lösung

If you can/want to spend a little bit, you can buy some courses on udemy.com. It's a great plattform for learning. 

ErinKas
Stratege/Strategin

lösung
Thanks Anton. Any courses that you recommend?
Anton

lösung

no special one, no.

It's completly up to you what you want to learn/do.

If you wnat somekind of "allround crash-course" you should look for a course that includes HTML, CSS and Javascript.

Personally I think it would be a good start, but you'll most likely need a "deeper dive-course" for better results/learniing effects.

Beside that you shouldn't take the first course which will be shown in the search results. 

Personally I have following criteria before I buy a course:

- audio(speaker without a difficult dialect, audio quality overall ...)

- video(quality)

- matching my current knowings(if I'm a beginner and the course is taged for experts it won't be much fun to take)

hope this helps

regards,

Anton 

0 Upvotes