CMS Development

Michiel_Tob
Participante

When to use HubDB?

resolver

Hi,

I am completely new at Hubspot and wonder when HubDB can/should be used in the best way.

For the website I have to make I have 3 almost identical page types of cases/news/events. Each type has its own overview page of all existing pages of that type. Each case/news/event also has its own detail page.

On other pages of the website there are references to these pages with an image, a short description of the case/event/news and a cta to the detail page.

What is the best way to set up these pages. Does HubDB qualify for this because I have data that needs to be displayed on multiple pages?

Kind regards,

Michiel

PS: if my question was not clear enough, you can always take a look at https://www.tobania.be.

0 Avaliação positiva
1 Solução aceita
Chris-M
Solução
Top colaborador(a)

When to use HubDB?

resolver

Hello @Michiel_Tob,

HubDB is a good use if you have the same content multiple times. Let's take the events page for example. You usually have a list- (overview) and a detail page. On the overview you will see the event name, date, a short text (trimed), image and a button.  On the detail page you want to give the user more information like: Event name, date, full text, image and maybe a form or a button.

You just need to update the HubDB and the listings and detail will be generated automatically.

Your cases/news/events are a perfect fit for a HubDB pages.

This could be a good reference (https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/cms/guides/building-dynamic-pages-with-hubdb)

- Chris

Exibir solução no post original

4 Respostas 4
Chris-M
Solução
Top colaborador(a)

When to use HubDB?

resolver

Hello @Michiel_Tob,

HubDB is a good use if you have the same content multiple times. Let's take the events page for example. You usually have a list- (overview) and a detail page. On the overview you will see the event name, date, a short text (trimed), image and a button.  On the detail page you want to give the user more information like: Event name, date, full text, image and maybe a form or a button.

You just need to update the HubDB and the listings and detail will be generated automatically.

Your cases/news/events are a perfect fit for a HubDB pages.

This could be a good reference (https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/cms/guides/building-dynamic-pages-with-hubdb)

- Chris

Michiel_Tob
Participante

When to use HubDB?

resolver

Thanks @Chris-M , 

I've just tried your solution and it works perfectly the way I wanted it.

0 Avaliação positiva
Gonzalo
Top colaborador(a) | Parceiro Diamante
Top colaborador(a) | Parceiro Diamante

When to use HubDB?

resolver

Hi @Michiel_Tob ,

I don't think there is a specif time to use HubDB, like there aren't fixed rules or laws about it 🙂

Comparing vs a blog, I like to use HubDB when most of this points doesn't match:

• The content won't change that often (because UX for the editor is not as nice as the blog post editor).
  • Most of the info I am going to use are custom properties. This point will neutralize the previous one, because if you have a blog object with a lot of customizations, edit each property/content withing the sidebar editor starts to become a bit anoying too 🙂
  • I don't need pagination (or just a simple one, but for HubDB we will need to make our own with AJAX, not full slug pages as in blog /page/2 but ?page=2 for example).
  • I need an advance pagination/filtering, maybe combining categories, or properties. Or even one like for events: display future events but not already past. So for this case if you use a blog you will be limited to generate the pagination with the latest 255 posts, while in hubDB I think there is no limit.

As you can see, even with this, there is not an exactly breaking point for me but a gradient where something can be in between.

So in your case, I would say that probably:

Blogs: Cases & News

HubDB: Events

For linking those listings to other pages you are going to need:

hubdb_table_rows("test_table", "foo=bar&orderBy=foo")

+info 

For the blogs, you can either use the default: 

related_blog_posts blog_ids="3241539189,3261083894", limit=6, blog_authors="Frank Smith"

or build your own with:

blog_recent_tag_posts('default', 'marketing-tips', 5 )

+info

Best,

G

If this answer helps you to solve your questions please mark it as a solution.

Thank you,

Gonzalo Torreras

HubSpot freelance developer

hola@gonzalotorreras.com
www.gonzalotorreras.com
Schedule a meeting
0 Avaliação positiva
Michiel_Tob
Participante

When to use HubDB?

resolver

Thank you for your reply @Gonzalo ,

I'm going to test if it can be done your way so I can see which method is best for what I need.

Greetings,

Michiel

0 Avaliação positiva