CMS Development

RichKorea
Participant

Websites created with HubSpot don't validate using the W3C validation tool

SOLVE

Websites that are created using HubSpot (sites that have the meta tag name="generator" content="HubSpot") report errors when checked with the W3C validation tool.

The W3C Validator will report errors such as declaring the language in a meta content-language tag as obsolete and instead the site should apply the language to the html tag.

These types of errors don’t prevent the site from operating, but they do make a website less than standard compliant.

As a website is one of the things a potential client first sees, I’m curious as to what’s HubSpot’s position on the importance of following internet standards?

The reason I’m asking is a business acquaintance of mine just started working for a high-end factory software company that uses HubSpot to generate their company website. Before I tease him about their website not being standards compliant, I wanted to check with HubSpot to see where you stand on following standards. Sites build using WordPress, Joomla, etc. don’t validate either, but those CMS are more open and less controlled.

Thanks

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
stefen
Solution
Key Advisor | Partner
Key Advisor | Partner

SOLVE

@RichKorea HubSpot's drag-n-drop system has been around for a while now and they can't change the markup too much without risking breaking existing sites. I would suggest using a coded template where you have control over 99.9% of the code instead of the drag-n-drop template system. With a coded template you can change things like the location of the language meta tag.

Stefen Phelps, Community Champion, Kelp Web Developer

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
stefen
Solution
Key Advisor | Partner
Key Advisor | Partner

SOLVE

@RichKorea HubSpot's drag-n-drop system has been around for a while now and they can't change the markup too much without risking breaking existing sites. I would suggest using a coded template where you have control over 99.9% of the code instead of the drag-n-drop template system. With a coded template you can change things like the location of the language meta tag.

Stefen Phelps, Community Champion, Kelp Web Developer
RichKorea
Participant

SOLVE

@stefen – thanks for the information. I read up on HubSpot’s coded template and it does seem like a possible solution for keeping the existing look and feel of a site while eliminating warnings and errors in the HTML code without having to completely rebuild the site.

0 Upvotes