CMS Development

MSeed
Miembro

Website Migration

resolver

Hi, I am currently building my website on WordPress, and it's working fine for me till now. But for the past few months, I am facing the issues like white screen, and memory exhausted errors. So I am thinking to migrate it to Hubspot. Kindly let me know if this will be helpful for my  website. 

2 Soluciones aceptadas
Kevin-C
Solución
Experto reconocido | Partner

Website Migration

resolver

Thanks @dennisedson 

Hey @MSeed 

I've run into this a time or two.

First its really important to understand why this is happening. If you don't understand why you may, for lake of a better term "work too hard" when implementing your solution. A migration is not a small task!

I second @dennisedson's suggestion of speaking with your hosting provider before doing anything.

"white screens and memory exhausted errors" are usually something on your site using more memory than it was allocated. Thus blocking a script from running, which can be "fatal". Usually simply increasing your PHP memory limit does the trick! This link, though specific to a certain host gives you a short over view of the issue and how to fix it. There are also plenty of plugins out there that can assist with this change!

The first solution is host agnostic!

Kevin Cornett - Sr. Solutions Architect @ BridgeRev

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

Anton
Solución
Experto reconocido | Partner nivel Diamond

Website Migration

resolver

Hi @MSeed,

there is no "correct" answer to this. 

Of course HubSpot (CMS) has its benefits over WordPress. On the other hand it needs (a bit) more time getting into it. 

I've developed and administered WordPress sites for years (and have currently a few left). If you run into memory issues and @Kevin-C's link doesn't help you - maybe it's time to clean your WordPress installation. This can really help.

• ALWAYS create a backup (i recommend duplicator since it's easy to use and doesn't require a WP installtion to restore a backup-file)
  • create a "sandbox" of your page. To do so - create a backup, create a subdomain (and seperate folder on your webspace), install the backup. if you're using "duplicator" simply upload the installer.php and ####.zip file into the created folder, link the subdomain to the folder and run the installer. after login in into the sandbox, install the plugin "migrate DB"(you can install it before the backup). And run a domain replacement ( //YOUR-DOMAIN.COM -> //SUBDOMAIN.YOUR-DOMAIN.COM
  • cleaning time: delete all unneeded plugins, themes/templates and everything that you don't need.
  • run ALL availible updates . Consider that some plugins need to be updated manually - in this case the manufacturer will most likely help you
  • Delete/limit your revisions like it's described here

If there is no noticable performance boost - look at your files. Each image should be optimized for web (~200kbyte), other files like videos should be hosted on a hoster like youtube/vimeo.... But don't just reupload all of your otimized images through the file-manager ( this will make everything just worse). I would recommend you to download all your files via (S)FTP to your local machine, create a kraken.io account, let kraken optimize all of your images at once, download and upload them. I don't recommend you to install the kraken.io WordPress plugin since it's "just another plugin" which will clutter your page.

The last step that you could try is to get a better webspace and transfer the whole page to the new one (again duplicator is your friend)

If you don't want to have this whole hustle, switch to HubSpot. BUT: you'll need to buy/develop a theme, write some custom modules and set everything up. A great thing is that you'll get awesome performance (if you buy a premium theme or develop your own) and you can import your Blog (either via HubSpots WordPress plugin HubSpot blog import function).

From the developer perspective I would always recommend to go the HubSpot way. It's so much more convinient to develop fun stuff than in PHP.

Also: you'll get automation & personalization. Definitly a USP. 

To have the "WordPress experience" in HubSpot - you'll definitly need to go the "theme"-way (there are still templates out there). 

writing your own theme is kinda fun too - but it takes time. 

hope this helps, 

best, 

Anton

Anton Bujanowski Signature

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

4 Respuestas 4
bestbushcraft
Miembro

Website Migration

resolver

i also have a website about the best mop.  i want to migrate it to hubspot but i'm not a technical person tell me how can i do this without any ranking and seo effect.

0 Me gusta
Anton
Solución

Website Migration

resolver

Hi @MSeed,

there is no "correct" answer to this. 

Of course HubSpot (CMS) has its benefits over WordPress. On the other hand it needs (a bit) more time getting into it. 

I've developed and administered WordPress sites for years (and have currently a few left). If you run into memory issues and @Kevin-C's link doesn't help you - maybe it's time to clean your WordPress installation. This can really help.

• ALWAYS create a backup (i recommend duplicator since it's easy to use and doesn't require a WP installtion to restore a backup-file)
  • create a "sandbox" of your page. To do so - create a backup, create a subdomain (and seperate folder on your webspace), install the backup. if you're using "duplicator" simply upload the installer.php and ####.zip file into the created folder, link the subdomain to the folder and run the installer. after login in into the sandbox, install the plugin "migrate DB"(you can install it before the backup). And run a domain replacement ( //YOUR-DOMAIN.COM -> //SUBDOMAIN.YOUR-DOMAIN.COM
  • cleaning time: delete all unneeded plugins, themes/templates and everything that you don't need.
  • run ALL availible updates . Consider that some plugins need to be updated manually - in this case the manufacturer will most likely help you
  • Delete/limit your revisions like it's described here

If there is no noticable performance boost - look at your files. Each image should be optimized for web (~200kbyte), other files like videos should be hosted on a hoster like youtube/vimeo.... But don't just reupload all of your otimized images through the file-manager ( this will make everything just worse). I would recommend you to download all your files via (S)FTP to your local machine, create a kraken.io account, let kraken optimize all of your images at once, download and upload them. I don't recommend you to install the kraken.io WordPress plugin since it's "just another plugin" which will clutter your page.

The last step that you could try is to get a better webspace and transfer the whole page to the new one (again duplicator is your friend)

If you don't want to have this whole hustle, switch to HubSpot. BUT: you'll need to buy/develop a theme, write some custom modules and set everything up. A great thing is that you'll get awesome performance (if you buy a premium theme or develop your own) and you can import your Blog (either via HubSpots WordPress plugin HubSpot blog import function).

From the developer perspective I would always recommend to go the HubSpot way. It's so much more convinient to develop fun stuff than in PHP.

Also: you'll get automation & personalization. Definitly a USP. 

To have the "WordPress experience" in HubSpot - you'll definitly need to go the "theme"-way (there are still templates out there). 

writing your own theme is kinda fun too - but it takes time. 

hope this helps, 

best, 

Anton

Anton Bujanowski Signature
Kevin-C
Solución

Website Migration

resolver

Thanks @dennisedson 

Hey @MSeed 

I've run into this a time or two.

First its really important to understand why this is happening. If you don't understand why you may, for lake of a better term "work too hard" when implementing your solution. A migration is not a small task!

I second @dennisedson's suggestion of speaking with your hosting provider before doing anything.

"white screens and memory exhausted errors" are usually something on your site using more memory than it was allocated. Thus blocking a script from running, which can be "fatal". Usually simply increasing your PHP memory limit does the trick! This link, though specific to a certain host gives you a short over view of the issue and how to fix it. There are also plenty of plugins out there that can assist with this change!

The first solution is host agnostic!

Kevin Cornett - Sr. Solutions Architect @ BridgeRev
dennisedson
Equipo de producto de HubSpot
Equipo de producto de HubSpot

Website Migration

resolver

Hey @MSeed 

I will leave to the Community to advise here (I am biased 🙃).  I would also make sure your plugins, wordpress are up to date.  Might be worth a talk with your hosting provider as well.

@Anton , @Kevin-C , what are you all thinking?