CMS Development

ChrisChiha
Colaborador líder

Updating HubDB table

resolver

Hello,

Is there any way i can connect my HubDB table to some sort of a page that enables users to view the rows and update/add rows to the table?

I would like to enable users to update the HubDB table without getting direct access to the table it self inside HubSpot. Would this work?

Thank you!
@ChrisChiha 

0 Me gusta
1 Soluciones aceptada
Jnix284
Solución
Miembro estimable | Partner nivel Diamond

Updating HubDB table

resolver

Hi @ChrisChiha 

Thanks for sharing, it is so helpful to understand use cases to learn more about requirements and capabilities... and I am a huge fan of HubDB!

1 - With permissions, it is possible to create a user role that limits access entirely except to HubDB. This wouldn't count against any of your seats for paid users.

You can also limit to "view" for those that need to provide input and "edit" for those that need to make changes. As long as you don't give "publish" permissions, you can always revert to the last published version to remove any changes made.

Jnix284_0-1663812432909.png

2 - yes, I agree the permissions could be more nuanced, especially when it comes to deleting columns or rows. Again, IF someone deleted a column or row, it could be restored by reverting to the last published version (tested and verified). 

In this case, you would want to restrict the users who can "publish" to the critical few.

I'm not saying you shouldn't proceed with your plan to use an API on a website page, but it is possible to do this entirely within the backend if you wanted to, without the added expense of the customization.

Hope this helps! If you do decide to go forward with the customization, I would add a post to the jobs board or join the developer slack to post the job there.

If you are a HubSpot Super Admin, I also recommend joining the Sprocketeer Community at Sprocketeer.community to connect with other Super Admins and find solutions there. 🙂

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

6 Respuestas 6
Jnix284

Updating HubDB table

resolver

@ChrisChiha If the page can make changes to the HubDB without an approval mechanism, what difference would this serve over providing direct acces to the HubDB table itself?

my question is essentially "why" do you want to do it this way?

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

0 Me gusta
ChrisChiha
Colaborador líder

Updating HubDB table

resolver

Hello @Jnix284 ,

Thanks for your reply!

Two reasons actually:
- For users who are outside of our organization and can't access our CRM
- HubDB permissions are not fragmnented. The permission will enable all hubdb features to all involved users. (We can't restrict creating/deleting, which might cause some inconveniences)

Thank you!
@ChrisChiha 

0 Me gusta
Jnix284
Solución

Updating HubDB table

resolver

Hi @ChrisChiha 

Thanks for sharing, it is so helpful to understand use cases to learn more about requirements and capabilities... and I am a huge fan of HubDB!

1 - With permissions, it is possible to create a user role that limits access entirely except to HubDB. This wouldn't count against any of your seats for paid users.

You can also limit to "view" for those that need to provide input and "edit" for those that need to make changes. As long as you don't give "publish" permissions, you can always revert to the last published version to remove any changes made.

Jnix284_0-1663812432909.png

2 - yes, I agree the permissions could be more nuanced, especially when it comes to deleting columns or rows. Again, IF someone deleted a column or row, it could be restored by reverting to the last published version (tested and verified). 

In this case, you would want to restrict the users who can "publish" to the critical few.

I'm not saying you shouldn't proceed with your plan to use an API on a website page, but it is possible to do this entirely within the backend if you wanted to, without the added expense of the customization.

Hope this helps! If you do decide to go forward with the customization, I would add a post to the jobs board or join the developer slack to post the job there.

If you are a HubSpot Super Admin, I also recommend joining the Sprocketeer Community at Sprocketeer.community to connect with other Super Admins and find solutions there. 🙂

ChrisChiha
Colaborador líder

Updating HubDB table

resolver

I totally agree @Jnix284 ! I've done some complex yet interesting projects with HubDB.

For me even if i can manage to link the hubdb to a google sheet, that would do the job. But i guess i will have to use the APIs anyway.

Jnix284

Updating HubDB table

resolver

Hi @ChrisChiha you could manage it in google sheets using export to CSV and then import the updated CSV. I had someone on my team who was just quicker with spreadsheets than HubDB and they preferred to make the changes that way.

It still requires a handoff in your situation though and isn't as elegant as an API.

Best of luck getting the API set up and running!

0 Me gusta
BarryGrennan
Colaborador líder

Updating HubDB table

resolver

Sounds like it's probably a job for the HubDB api

How exactly you'd go about it I've no idea, really not an API guy (yet? 😛)

profile2022aBarry Grennan

Freelance HubSpot CMS Developer

Website | Contact