CMS Development

dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

The best code editor is....

I tried to make that subject click-baity 🙂 

I am getting to be an old man and I remember learning about text-wrangler.  Remember that text editor?? Remember...Dreamweaver 😬

Kids these days are spoiled with all the options.  

Here are the questions 

1. Which code editor do you believe is the best?
  2. Why is it the best?

I will be grading this exam so take your time and answer correctly 😉

16 Replies 16
Vicka
Participant

I discovered and loved Jetbrains IDEs for PHP and starting now with HubSpot development I use WebStorm, which is gorgeous for API calls too with http files, so what a joy it would be to get a code completion addon for WebStorm as it exists for VScode. :))

I saw on Github that somebody did it but link is broken 😞

webdew
Guide | Diamond Partner
Guide | Diamond Partner

Hey!

The best code editor for HubSpot are :

1. VS code
2. Sublime

I believe you should try it!

bws9000
Contributor

I believe the best editor is the editor that works for you. Sometimes you need a few different editors. I like VS Code, WebStorm still love notepad, VIM if you're in a terminal. 👍

dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

@bws9000 , totally agree! 

My preferred method of using VIM is to open the terminal panel in VS Code and fire it up 🤣

bws9000
Contributor

@dennisedson i know what u mean

0 Upvotes
ScottD22
Contributor | Diamond Partner
Contributor | Diamond Partner

Been a long time Atom user and recently switched to VS Code. Can't say I miss Atom, vs code has a built in terminal and it doesn't seem to crash unlike Atom.

prosa
Top Contributor

for me is intellij IDEA. this topic depends on the lang you are using. 

If this post helped you resolve your issue, please consider marking it as the solution. Thank you for supporting our HubSpot community.
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

@prosa you are 1000 percent correct on the language business 🙂 

Also, are you a java developer? 

0 Upvotes
prosa
Top Contributor

I've code in many languages. Now I'm experimenting in automation using tools like Power Automate. My Favorite frameworks to build applications are Laravel( PHP ) combined with vuejs( front-end-framework ). But, you can use IDEA for almost anything. 

If this post helped you resolve your issue, please consider marking it as the solution. Thank you for supporting our HubSpot community.
Chris-M
Top Contributor

I'm part of the Visual Studio Code fraction... i've used Sublime for a long time. One day a college introduced me to VSCode and since then i'm rocking it 😃

Kevin-C
Recognized Expert | Partner

@dennisedson 

I'm partial to VSCode with the Atom Dark theme!

@stefen Nova looks interesting! I maybe trying that out today.

Kevin Cornett - Sr. Solutions Architect @ BridgeRev
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Themes!  I love themes! I love walking to someone's workstation (a long time ago, I worked in the same building as other humans) and seeing what theme they were using.  For their code editor and terminal!

Kevin-C

Recently learned about Hyper terminal from one of Dr. Angela Yu's courses. I've not used it but it seems to be getting popular!

Kevin Cornett - Sr. Solutions Architect @ BridgeRev
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

a:  hyper looks super cool.  I have been using iTerm2 for years.

b:  I had never heard of this Dr. Angela Yu.  

0 Upvotes
stefen
Key Advisor | Partner
Key Advisor | Partner

@dennisedson I've always been a Sublime Text user because it's so much faster than VS Code (native code ftw) and still offers all the customizeability. However, recently I made the switch to Nova by Panic. It's more like a full-on IDE with a built-in terminal but without all the slowness those usually put off. It comes with a whole lot of features built-in and also offers a super easy extension system.

My 2 favorite things about Nova:

1. all server credentials from Transmit are synced here as well—makes working from multiple computers less of a pain
  2. you can set default syntax highlighting per file extension overwriting the default. So, even if you use obscure files like say you have a file called "hubspot.hubl" you can set all ".hubl" files to use the HTML-Twig syntax (one of the syntax extensions that closely matches HubL formatting).
Stefen Phelps, Community Champion, Kelp Web Developer
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

😍

How long has Nova been out?  I feel like I received a notification of it being in development a year ago....or 5. I have always been a fan of anything Panic built!

It is like a slap in the face when I am forced to use Filezilla instead of Transmit

0 Upvotes