CMS Development

AdamPokora
Participant | Partner
Participant | Partner

Template staging

SOLVE

Hi Team,

We're developing custom pages/templates/sites with custom JS for our client (which are live) and we're still wondering, how we can build/manage to stage our development sites? Any tips on how can we modify our custom site/template with a staging site and then push the changes to the template and production? 

Best,

Adam

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Anton
Solution
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

Template staging

SOLVE

Hi @AdamPokora

you have at least these two options:

- create a new, free development Hub here to create new templates

- build the theme/templates in the current hub

If you're developing a theme I would recommend to use the CLI - if you don't use it already. It makes the live of a developer much easier and it's quite simple with a development hub. 

Working with Staging in general is quite a charm

phase existing pages to the staging environment as described here and then change the templates of the "phased" pages. Notice: If you "phase" a page with existing content it might get lost in the staging. After you've finished with your changes push it to live environment from the staging - you're done. The "old" page/content will be overwritten with the new one which was pushed from staging. 

Tipp: If you're using local development with CLI you can even connect it to Github 

hope this helps

best, 

Anton

check
Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution

View solution in original post

Anton
Solution

Template staging

SOLVE

Hi @AdamPokora

you have at least these two options:

- create a new, free development Hub here to create new templates

- build the theme/templates in the current hub

If you're developing a theme I would recommend to use the CLI - if you don't use it already. It makes the live of a developer much easier and it's quite simple with a development hub. 

Working with Staging in general is quite a charm

phase existing pages to the staging environment as described here and then change the templates of the "phased" pages. Notice: If you "phase" a page with existing content it might get lost in the staging. After you've finished with your changes push it to live environment from the staging - you're done. The "old" page/content will be overwritten with the new one which was pushed from staging. 

Tipp: If you're using local development with CLI you can even connect it to Github 

hope this helps

best, 

Anton

check
Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution