CMS Development

Mboyer

Substitute for Anchors

Since its recomended not to use Anchors in an Email.  How to I create something similar to enable readers of say a newletter email to navigate down to various sections??

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

Substitute for Anchors

Q: How to I create something similar to anchors that will enable readers of an email to navigate down to various sections?

Short A: n/a

Longer A:

Considering that click through rate (CTR) is arguably THE single most important and reliable measurement of email engagement, interfering with that KPI by introducing nonsense links into the equation is a bad email idea. (not recommended)

Not to mention the skewed stats reporting and inconsistent results across email clients.

#nlmtt #nlmtt

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
Mboyer

Substitute for Anchors

Ummm 

lets pretend I know nothing about html, SEO's, web marketing, and all that web language stuff.  I am a construction guy building a newletter.  my guidance is to have links at the top to take you to sections within the newsletter.  How do I do that without anchors in hubspot?

Thanks

0 Upvotes
radar
Contributor

Substitute for Anchors

@Mboyer not every email client is going to support anchor functionality (~60%). That might be why it was suggested to avoid them. I think you'll find you get a mixed bag in terms of them working properly or not. On an iPhone I believe you might need to click twice for the scroll to work properly.

You might consider placing less weight on featuring a ton of content in your email and instead opt for designing a shorter note, linking out to a long form blog post or interior page with the full details. This sort of mirrors what I think @MFrankJohnson was driving at. Also, it lets your content do double duty with minimal effort.

Side note; I beleive you can setup anchors pretty easily in HubSpot's email tool with very little HTML messing around.

Mboyer

Substitute for Anchors

Thank you for the response..  I tend to agree with both of you but I needed ammunition to go back and challenge. This will work for me..

Thanks again