CMS Development

jschroeffel
Contributor | Platinum Partner

Staging Environment / Development Version

The CMS has evolved into a great tool.  However compared to our Wordpress or Shopify website builds, we cannot provide our clients with a staging version to fully test major changes.  It is easy to proof a page or a module. But if you are launching a multi-page section that should be tested in the full website environment, good luck.

I'd love confirmation that this is on the roadmap for at least Enterprise and hopefully CMS Pro as well.  Anyone have a good solution for a staging website?

(We can use a developer version for a complete tear down, but that is not efficient for a GDD retainer)

4 Replies 4
mariana_pic

Jennifer!
Thanks for the answer!

Yes we do that in several of our installs. But then we have to rename modules, cos some get duplicated and you don't know the module from which theme you are adding. Global complex modules that needs data added when the theme is cloned the content is not. So we need to recreate those too.

The move is complex too, not to discuss about the blog.

There is a lot of room for improvements as you said!

I've created the IDEA?

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Staging-Environment-Development-Version/idi-p/737119#...

Jnix284
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

Hi @mariana_pic you're welcome! I've upvoted the idea 🙂

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

0 Upvotes
mariana_pic

I have to agree with Jeff 

Content staging is very useful, but its not a full staging environment. 
You cannot test changes in global modules, navigation, ETC.

The sandbox in enterprise doesn't copy everything. 
So it would take a lot of time and manual work to do a clone and keep it updated for the client to test.

We definetly NEED a good test environment where we could test the whole website with those changes in an more efficient way.

0 Upvotes
Jnix284

I agree that content staging has room for significant improvement, like the ability to clone a staged page or bulk create staged drafts for all live pages using a new theme...but if you use content staging in combination with a new child theme, you can fully test global modules, navigation, etc. with the right process (requires very diligent naming conventions to say the least).

@jschroeffel I would recommend adding this to the ideas discussion where the product team can review.

If you comment back here with the link, I'm pretty sure @mariana_pic will join me in upvoting the idea! 🙂

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin