CMS Development

Alison-Watson

SEO recommendations - missing font

SOLVE

Hello, I have a problem in my SEO recommendations which says that a Googlefont (Roboto) is missing. However, this font is from the Font Family and not uploaded by myself, so it is not a custom font. I was told the following possible solution:

It could be due to two things:

1) The way I see it in this article "Custom Fonts in HubSpot", the Roboto font is not supported in HubSpot.

2) It looks like your stylesheet on this website: https://www.werkvonmorgen.de is referencing this font (see screenshot).

However, it looks like the error affects the code of the URL paths for the regular Roboto font files. In your @font-face rules, Roboto is mentioned as a "regular" weight, but in the URL you have not specified a weight as you have done for 300, 700 and 800.

At the moment you have:
url("/_hcms/googlefonts/Roboto/regular.woff2") format("woff2"), url("/_hcms/googlefonts/Roboto/regular.woff") format("woff");
But this "regular" font weight typically indicates a font weight of 400. If you have a Roboto font file with a weight of 400, you should change the URLs to:
url("/_hcms/googlefonts/Roboto/400.woff2") format("woff2"), url("/_hcms/googlefonts/Roboto/400.woff") format("woff");
change. Remember to change this in all three @font-face rules.

However, I don't know where to change this. I have already activated the 400 in the stylesheet / theme / design customizations. Where do I have to make further settings? Thanks for the help!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Anton
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Hi @Alison-Watson

Roboto is a "default" Google font and therefore initially integrated in HubSpot. You don't have to import it via @font-face rules or similar. The only thing why somebody might have implemented it locally is the fact that there was a huge turmoil and warning letters about Google fonts and DSGVO/GDPR vialotations last year or so in Germany. HubSpot reacted quite quickly and has updated the google font loading/hosting. From this update on all Google fonts are hosted on your domain and do not share any informations with Google(that was the key point last year). 

It may be, that the font is written directly in the theme-overwrite.css or any other CSS file directly and therefore overwriting the theme settings. 

Could you please provide some information about who has implemented the font-face rule, what's your theme setup(are you using a child-theme) looks like, if you're using the most current version of your theme, which SEO tool you're using(Google Page speed did not throw an "font error" at me)?

About the current version: there might be some updates that might fix this issue but updating a theme if you're not using a child theme will most likely overwrite your custom styles so I don't recommend to update if you're not using a child-theme?

Also - since you're using the Power theme, I'd like to bring @Jnix284 to the conversation since she's very familiar with this theme. 🙂 She might have some insights/guidance that nobody else has.

best, 

Anton

Anton Bujanowski Signature

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Anton
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Hi @Alison-Watson

Roboto is a "default" Google font and therefore initially integrated in HubSpot. You don't have to import it via @font-face rules or similar. The only thing why somebody might have implemented it locally is the fact that there was a huge turmoil and warning letters about Google fonts and DSGVO/GDPR vialotations last year or so in Germany. HubSpot reacted quite quickly and has updated the google font loading/hosting. From this update on all Google fonts are hosted on your domain and do not share any informations with Google(that was the key point last year). 

It may be, that the font is written directly in the theme-overwrite.css or any other CSS file directly and therefore overwriting the theme settings. 

Could you please provide some information about who has implemented the font-face rule, what's your theme setup(are you using a child-theme) looks like, if you're using the most current version of your theme, which SEO tool you're using(Google Page speed did not throw an "font error" at me)?

About the current version: there might be some updates that might fix this issue but updating a theme if you're not using a child theme will most likely overwrite your custom styles so I don't recommend to update if you're not using a child-theme?

Also - since you're using the Power theme, I'd like to bring @Jnix284 to the conversation since she's very familiar with this theme. 🙂 She might have some insights/guidance that nobody else has.

best, 

Anton

Anton Bujanowski Signature
Jnix284
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE

@Alison-Watson it sounds like maybe you've reached out to POWER Support already to get this answer initially and @Anton is on the right track that the theme is converting the font locally due to GDPR requirements to avoid the call to Google's font API.

If you weren't able to resolve the issue with Anton's recommendation, I'd be happy to jump on a zoom to talk through this with you (I used to provide support for POWER Pro and wrote the documentation on how to manage fonts when this change was released) - I've worked quite a bit with Alicia on your team in the past.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

0 Upvotes