CMS Development

terolepisto
Member | Gold Partner
Member | Gold Partner

RSS Listing with dynamic url

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Hubspot, but I tried to make email post with custom module, that contains rss_listing, where url would build from module- and contact -parameters.  If I use hardcoded or even only modules parameters for the rss_url, it works like a charm. But If I try to use contact-parameters it won't work.

My idea was to make that rss_url = "https://my-site.com/feed/{{contact.myparameter}}" but somehow it won't work.

So... How do I insert dynamic string-variable to rss_listing that is build from contact.parameters?

I can output parameters to the module just right, so I know they have values, but in rss_listing rss_url they just aren't working.

{% set myparameter1 = contact.myparameter1  %}
{% set myparameter2 = contact.myparameter2 %}

{% set rss_url = (module.rss_url.href) ~ "&area=" ~ myparameter1 ~ "&grouping=" ~ myparameter2|replace(" ","") ~ "" %}

{% set feed_source = "{is_external=True, rss_url='{{ rss_url }}' }" %}

<div class="rss-listing-custom" >
  <h3>
    RSS Jobs local module   
  </h3>
  <ul>
<!-- Firstname shows right -->
      <li>{{ contact.firstname }}</li>
<!-- All of these url's shows right -->
      <li>url={{ module.rss_url.href }}&area={{ myparameter1 }}&grouping={{ myparameter2 }}</li>
      <li>url2="{{ rss_url }}"</li>
      <li>feed_source="{{ feed_source }}"</li>
      <li>area="{{ myparameter1 }}"</li>
      <li>grouping="{{ myparameter2 }}"</li>
      <li>contenttype="{{ contact.sisallot }}"</li>
  </ul>

<h1>
  RSS listing without dynamic url, works like a charm
  </h1>
  {% rss_listing "my_blog_rss" rss_url='{{ "https://mysite/feed/rssjobs?hardcoded-parameters=3&foobar=lorem" }}', is_external=True %}

<h1>
   RSS 1
  </h1>
  <a href="{{ module.rss_url.href }}&area={{ myparameter1 }}&grouping=hardcodedparameterfordebugging" >Link</a>
  {% rss_listing "my_blog_rss" rss_url='{{ "https://mysite/feed/rssjobs?search=hub&email=1&area=" ~ myparameter1 ~ "&grouping=Hardcoded-parameters" }}', is_external=True %}

<h1>
   RSS 2
  </h1>
  <a href="{{ rss_url }}" >Link</a>
  {% rss_listing "my_blog_rss" rss_url='{{ rss_url }}', is_external=True %}

<h1>
    Dynamic RSS
  </h1>
  {% rss_listing

rss_url="{{ module.rss_url.href }}&grouping=hardcodedparameterfordebugging&area={{ conctact.myparameter1 }}"
    publish_date_text='',
    feed_source="{ is_external=True, rss_url='{{ "{{ module.rss_url.href }}&grouping=hardcodedparameterfordebugging&area={{ conctact.myparameter1 }}" }}' }",
    click_through_text='{{ module.link_text }}',
    show_date=false,
    include_featured_image=true,
    overrideable=True,
    publish_date_format='short',
    show_detail=True,
    show_author=false,
    number_of_items='{{ module.number_of_items }}',
    is_external=true,
    title='',
    label='RSS Listing',
    limit_to_chars='{{ module.limit_to_chars }}',
    attribution_text=''
   %}
</div>

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
Willson
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @terolepisto 

Would you be able to link to the template in question where this code is being used so I can take a look? 

Thanks!

Product Manager @ HubSpot
0 Upvotes
terolepisto
Member | Gold Partner
Member | Gold Partner

Well, it is custom module (the whole source is in the first post) so it could be in what ever template. The problem is the url's in rss_list somehow won't work if I use properties in them.

In email text, the url's show right and when added as a plain text email clients change them to clickable links, but in rss_listing -module's rss_url the url's wont work if I try to use {{ conctact.whateverparameter }} in them.

I thought this would be a easy peasy and just to add string's with ~ delimeters to make it work, but somehow it seem's like Hubspot won't parse {{ variable }}'s in some cases.

0 Upvotes
Willson
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hey @terolepisto 

Looking into the module source code, it looks as though you're not passing the parameters correctly. 

Specifically:

<li>url={{ module.rss_url.href }}&area={{ myparameter1 }}&grouping={{ myparameter2 }}</li>

In this case, for the parameters to render and be appended to the URL, we need to format it as follows:

<li>url={{ module.rss_url.href }}?area={{ myparameter1 }}&grouping={{ myparameter2 }}</li>

Once this is done and the content is rendered for the recipient, the tokens will render the values and be appended as URL parameters correctly.

I hope this helps!

Product Manager @ HubSpot
0 Upvotes
terolepisto
Member | Gold Partner
Member | Gold Partner

No no no, the url is correct. The 

module.rss_url.href

already contains ? and & -get -parameters. The problem is in rss_listing. the <li> etc html data is only for debugging the code and will not remain in the final module when I locate the error.

The main problem is in rss_listing *if* I use dynamic url with multiple parameters.

So, I would like to know how to use dynamic parameters in rss_listing module.

I need to use {{ contact.myparameter1 }} and {{ contact.myparameter2 }} in the url. I already tested the url if I just hard code the whole Url, and it works. Somehow it seems that the Hubspot needs some kinds of filters or something like that to make this work, but somehow I have no clue how to parse the url.

I just thought I would just make the rss_url in rss_listing to use {{ contact.myparamer1 }} in the right position but somehow it doesn't work like that in the hubspot. Or maybe it's too picky and I have to use the right " or ' -characters. Or maybe I need to encode the url in the right way I don't know how. Or anything.

0 Upvotes
terolepisto
Member | Gold Partner
Member | Gold Partner

Ok, the forum somehow deleted my reply, so I'll try to make it short:

Variables are working and I can print them on email

{% set myparameter1 = contact.myparameter1  %}
{% set myparameter2 = contact.myparameter2 %}

{% set rss_url = "https://mysite.fi/feed/rssjobs?email=1&search=hubhardcoded1&area=" ~ myparameter1 ~ "&grouping=" ~ myparameter2|replace(" ","") ~ "" %}

{% set feed_source = "{is_external=True, rss_url='" ~ rss_url ~"' }" %}

These aren't working, they don't print anything, just empty block where rss_listing should be:

{% rss_listing "my_blog_rss1" rss_url={{ rss_url }}, is_external=True %}
  {% rss_listing "my_blog_rss2" rss_url="{{ rss_url }}", is_external=True %}
  {% rss_listing "my_blog_rss3" rss_url='{{ rss_url }}', is_external=True %}
  {% rss_listing "my_blog_rss4" rss_url={{ ~ rss_url ~ }}, is_external=True %}

This in other hand works partially and logs request in my "mysite.fi"'s log:
The problem is, the Hubspot Feed fetcher gets only the url in {{ module.rss_url.href }} and not the hardcoded part or contact.myparameter1:

{% rss_listing
    "my_blog_rss_hardcoded second"
    rss_url="{{ module.rss_url.href }}&grouping=HARDCODED&area={{ contact.myparameter1 }}"
    publish_date_text='',
    feed_source="{ is_external=True, rss_url={{ module.rss_url.href }}&grouping=HARDCODED&area={{ contact.myparameter1 }} }",
    click_through_text='{{ module.link_text }}',
    show_date=false,
    include_featured_image=true,
    overrideable=True,
    publish_date_format='short',
    show_detail=True,
    show_author=false,
    number_of_items='{{ module.number_of_items }}',
    is_external=true,
    title='',
    label='RSS Listing',
    limit_to_chars='{{ module.limit_to_chars }}',
    attribution_text=''
   %}

And lastly, if the url if fully hardcoded works fine, but lacks the dynamic content I was hoping to get in the email newsletters:

{% rss_listing "my_blog_rss0" rss_url='{{ "https://mysite.fi/feed/rssjobs?email=1&search=hubhardcodedrss1&area=HARCODED&grouping=FOOBAR" }}', is_external=True %}

So, somehow I'm wondering if the problem is that I can't "inject" conctact.parameters to rss_listing this way because it's someofwhat own module or something like that.

0 Upvotes
terolepisto
Member | Gold Partner
Member | Gold Partner

Yep, seems like I can use only module.parameters in module, but not contact.parameters althought I can render them in html text, but not in rss_listing urls.

0 Upvotes