CMS Development

melaniebell
参加者 | Diamond Partner
参加者 | Diamond Partner

Parent Theme - Child Theme - Cloned Theme Font Troubleshooting

解決

Hi,

I'm building a website on a theme purchased from the marketplace, and trying to update key branding elements like typography and colors. I've followed documentation from the theme developer, I've followed steps from other developers about the new child themes vs cloning (I'm used to cloning to customize).

As I'm comfortable with a lot of code but FARRRR from being a developer, I want to make sure I'm understanding that we should be trying to recreate as few files in the child theme as possible - that if we can use the original templates, we should.

Is that right? 

Appreciate any insight you can share into do's and don'ts.

Thanks,
Melanie

0 いいね!
1件の承認済みベストアンサー
Jnix284
解決策
最優秀メンバー | Elite Partner
最優秀メンバー | Elite Partner

解決

Adding an update here as this post has come up in a recent conversation and the functionalities available for marketplace themes have changed.

It is no longer possible to clone a marketplace theme, the functionality was removed due to the issues that arise from disconnecting it from the marketplace (can't be updated, no bugfixes, etc.)

It is possible to create a child theme, and highly recommended to do so, because it allows for customization while retaining the connection to the original marketplace theme.

There is a child.css and child.js file automatically created where the majority of changes can be made. Depending on the theme, you will likely need an include statement for the theme css for the changes to work propertly.

Individual templates and modules can be cloned to the child, in which case they override the parent/marketplace template/module which removes the ability to update. Instead, if you want to create a custom version of a template or module, clone it to the child and then rename it so it is unique and not an outright replacement. With that said, the majority of updates can be made in the child.css or child.js, it's only when you want to change the functionality of the module (the settings, fields available, etc.) where you would want to create a custom version.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

元の投稿で解決策を見る

3件の返信
Jnix284
解決策
最優秀メンバー | Elite Partner
最優秀メンバー | Elite Partner

解決

Adding an update here as this post has come up in a recent conversation and the functionalities available for marketplace themes have changed.

It is no longer possible to clone a marketplace theme, the functionality was removed due to the issues that arise from disconnecting it from the marketplace (can't be updated, no bugfixes, etc.)

It is possible to create a child theme, and highly recommended to do so, because it allows for customization while retaining the connection to the original marketplace theme.

There is a child.css and child.js file automatically created where the majority of changes can be made. Depending on the theme, you will likely need an include statement for the theme css for the changes to work propertly.

Individual templates and modules can be cloned to the child, in which case they override the parent/marketplace template/module which removes the ability to update. Instead, if you want to create a custom version of a template or module, clone it to the child and then rename it so it is unique and not an outright replacement. With that said, the majority of updates can be made in the child.css or child.js, it's only when you want to change the functionality of the module (the settings, fields available, etc.) where you would want to create a custom version.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

webdew
ガイド役 | Diamond Partner
ガイド役 | Diamond Partner

解決

Hi @melaniebell ,

First thing is that , you need to clone the theme after that create second setep:

Step 1: Marketing > website > Website Page:
Step 2: Create > Create website Page => Select template for which to want use Theme Template:
Step 3: Edit page accordingly, upadate content, image etc.

After all done submit/ published page

Hope this helps!

If we were able to answer your query, kindly help the community by marking it as a solution.

Thanks and Regards.

0 いいね!
Indra
ガイド役 | Elite Partner
ガイド役 | Elite Partner

解決

Hi @melaniebell,

It's usefull to use a theme since it has build in templates. These templates will give your site more structure and flexibility to display content for specific needs like a Homepage, About us and Contact template.

If you have specific needs it's easy to duplicate a template within a theme and adjust it to your needs. One thing is that the more changes you make to a theme (or in your case a child theme) the more you have to take into account that changes will need to be compatible with other modules, templates and assets within that child theme.

But once these changes are added, you can't just go back to the original template, since not all modifications will be applied to there so you will lose the content/or styling.

Also, a themes can have custom modules. I'm not sure but maybe embedded modules into themes are only available if a template from that theme is used. But I haven't checked this out yet myself.

Vet Digital - The Growth Agency | HubSpot Solutions Partner Agency

Did my post solve your question? Help the community by marking it as a solution
0 いいね!