CMS Development

SFurlong
Contributor | Diamond Partner

Obtaining Deal fields into automated email module

SOLVE

Hello,

I am attempting to use an email module to pull in fields from a deal and was hoping someone could point me in the correct direction.

In the deal there is a custom field named "Cart URL". This deal gets generated when a user abandones their cart on the front end, which populates the cart URL field, then sends an automated email.

In the automated email I am attempting to pull in the "Cart URL" field but don't seem to be having luck. I am using an email module and attempting to hook it up via CRM Object Properties:

{{ module.CartUrl.property_definition.label }}

This works for example, however when I try something such as ".value" I don't receive any data.

Would be thankful for any advice!

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
jolle
Solution
Recognized Expert | Partner

SOLVE

Hey @SFurlong, thanks for reaching out!

I haven't tried any custom-developed solutions here before, but I have a workaround that may work for you.

The challenge with emails is that they are specific to the individual contact being sent the email. I totally understand wanting to pull in information from the deal, but HubSpot won't know what to do if there are multiple deals associated with that single contact.

You'll need to get the checkout URL into a contact property in order to reliably use it in emails. If you have Marketing Hub Professional or Sales Hub Professional, you should be able to accomplish this with the following deal workflow:

• Enrollment criteria = "Cart URL - Deal" is known AND, for any associated contact, "Cart URL - Contact" is unknow
  • Copy value from "Cart URL - Deal" to "Cart URL - Contact"

As long as you have the contact associated with the deal, the value should be carried over.

I have a client doing something similar, except we bring in the unique identifier (GUID) on the contact record. The same checkout URL applies for all contacts (just with their GUID appended), so I have a workflow that will set their final checkout URL property to "www.website/checkout{GUID}" vs storing the full URL in the deal and having to copy it back to the contact. Not sure how relevant that is to you, but I wanted to throw it out there just in case!

Hope this helps!!

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
jolle
Solution

SOLVE

Hey @SFurlong, thanks for reaching out!

I haven't tried any custom-developed solutions here before, but I have a workaround that may work for you.

The challenge with emails is that they are specific to the individual contact being sent the email. I totally understand wanting to pull in information from the deal, but HubSpot won't know what to do if there are multiple deals associated with that single contact.

You'll need to get the checkout URL into a contact property in order to reliably use it in emails. If you have Marketing Hub Professional or Sales Hub Professional, you should be able to accomplish this with the following deal workflow:

• Enrollment criteria = "Cart URL - Deal" is known AND, for any associated contact, "Cart URL - Contact" is unknow
  • Copy value from "Cart URL - Deal" to "Cart URL - Contact"

As long as you have the contact associated with the deal, the value should be carried over.

I have a client doing something similar, except we bring in the unique identifier (GUID) on the contact record. The same checkout URL applies for all contacts (just with their GUID appended), so I have a workflow that will set their final checkout URL property to "www.website/checkout{GUID}" vs storing the full URL in the deal and having to copy it back to the contact. Not sure how relevant that is to you, but I wanted to throw it out there just in case!

Hope this helps!!

Jacob Olle

SFurlong

SOLVE

Thanks Jolle - that was precisely the problem! After updating the workflows the standard {{ deal.[field] }} approach works great.

jolle

SOLVE

So happy to hear!!

Jacob Olle

0 Upvotes